Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

8.1 / 4L80E towing review

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

My father had a 8.1L Chevy Van with 4 rows seating 2500. This was something like 10 years ago. It was the last year offered with the big block. In stock form they aren't that great. He took it to LPE and they did some tuning, heads, and cam. Really woke the thing up. I remember driving it and lighting up the tires while rolling 20 mph. It was a beast once all that money was dumped into it. We towed trailers full of engines and transmissions from the midwest to cleveland or road trips to AZ many times. Many good memories. It would haul *** with that trailer. About 7-8klbs. It was a scarry vehicle.

Unfortunately, playing with late model big blocks is a rich mans game with little aftermarket support.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Unfortunately, playing with late model big blocks is a rich mans game with little aftermarket support.
this is so true. I was looking to swap in an 8.1 into my 3/4 but after looking at the prices for upgrades i decided against it. Id come out cheaper to just boost my lq4. Hell i if i wanted to spend that kind of money I would buy a tall deck lsx bare block and build a 454 for my truck. Cant beat an LS when it comes to aftermarket and simplicity. Its like the AR-15 of the truck world.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oobray
For those that read my other posts. I have a 2002 Yukon XL with 8.1 and 4L80E. The tranny was just gone through and billet converter and Superior towing shift kit was added.

I just took my travel trailer and 6 people (including my 4 month old) on a 1,700 mile round trip from Oklahoma City, through NM up to Pikes Peak and back. For those that don't want to read the whole review, my impression of the towing setup is that the truck was adequate, but not fun or impressive by any means...

So the trip started going from OKC to Amarillo pulling the trailer. I pulled across the CAT scales and here's the results. I've never used a CAT scale before and I don't think I did it completely right. The scale had three sections. I put all four truck tires on one section and tried to put the trailer on the other section But it's a tandem axle and one set of tires were on the second scale and the other set were on the third set. So here are the three numbers...

1. 8,240lbs - This is with all passengers and vehicle loaded as we traveled. I think of course it would also include the tongue weight of the trailer, which Jayco states is 510 lbs.

2. 2,720 lbs

3. 1,980

4. Total weight 12,940 lbs.

So I believe the total trailer weight would be 2 + 3 + 510 = 5,210

For some reason I thought my trailer would weigh in somewhere near 7K so I was way off, which makes me even less impressed with how the 8.1 / 4L80E did towing. Here's my experience...

Towing from OKC to Amarillo I tried to stay between 60 - 65 mph. I tried to use the cruise control, but really didn't like how that was working. WAY too much shifting in and out of 4th gear. While certainly I-40 between OKC and Amarillo is "flat" it's still climbing from my house (500ft elevation) to Amarillo which is about 3,500ft. Also, while the interstate is flat, there's still rises when going over bridges etcetera. It had to down shift for ANY and I mean ANY change in elevation of the road. It also had to downshift for ANY and I mean ANY change in throttle pressure. Now, in 3rd gear it would be about 2,500 rpm and pulled pretty good. Just found inside the truck.

RPMs at 60 - 65 mph were right around 2K maybe 100 or so less. It would hit 4th but it took "effort" on my part to keep it there. Cruising at 65 I'd have to let it drop to 60 or even 55 to go over over passes or even slight changes in road pitch. If I wanted to keep a steady pace, or use cruise it would almost never hit 4th and when it did it didn't stay there long.

Heading from Amarillo north it would almost never hit 4th. I didn't manually put it in 3rd because it would almost never hit fourth on its own. I rarely ever hit 4th again while in NM and CO. In fact, there were times that it would hit 4th (if I forced it by letting off the accelerator) while going downhill but any change in throttle pressure put it back in 3rd. GOING DOWNHILL!!! And I mean a significant downhill.

It pulled Raton Pass (6% grade) in 2nd gear at 3,500 rpm and just shy of 60 mph. That was with the pedal to the floor and absolutely no more power left. But it was holding at that speed and not slowing down. I've never really pulled a trailer before so I don't know how this "ranks".

The way from Amarillo to OKC was a little better. I think because I kept it at 70 - 75 mph which put the RPMs in 4th at around 2,200 which allowed it to hold 4th a little better. But still, considering I was going downhill basically the whole time it was very aggravating to be constantly shifting out of 4th.

All of this and it averaged 6.5 mpg. This was using the odometer. The truck has 265 Cooper ST's and the MPG calculation accounted for the increased distance of the larger tires. I really wouldn't mind the MPG IF the truck performed a little better. But barely adequate towing performance coupled with the horrible MPG was frustrating. Luckily, only getting about 150 miles or so between fill ups is about when the family is ready for restroom breaks and more snacks.

The one thing I was impressed by was the transmission braking. If I put it in 2nd, even going down Raton pass it would hold a decently slow speed without having to use the vehicle brakes. That was nice. Also, the transmission temp gauge on the dash usually read around 200 deg. Sometimes a little less but never really more than that.

So I'd like to hear from all you guys that are more experienced with towing how this rates as far as towing performance. I've never really pulled any trailers so I don't how this rates as far as "normal". I just really hated the constant in and out of 4th gear. I also know that as far as mountain passes goes, Raton isn't very bad. So being topped out at only 60 mph in 2nd gear at 3,500 rpm with only a 5,200 lb trailer isn't comforting. Especially because we're really looking at upgrading the trailer in the next few years to one that's about 1,000 heavier. I've read pickup guys towing 15K + with their trucks. I don't know how this is possible unless it's the Allison that makes this possible.

Right now the truck has a new stock GM HD muffler, no cats and a K&N intake. I'm going to be getting a paper filter to replace the K&N filter so I don't have to oil it. I'm going to reserve my complete evaluation until after I get a Blackbear / Westers tune. Maybe that will wake it up. We absolutely love the Yukon for the vehicle itself, a pick up just won't work for us. This leaves me with the following options...

1. Upgrade performance in the Yukon. Engine mods, Allison swap, gear swap etc.

2. Ford Excursion with 7.3 or 6.0. With this option I'd have to upgrade suspensions pretty much right off the bat. The Ex's ride horribly!! and I've also heard the 6.0's don't really get great mileage while towing either.

3. I've looked for a D-max passenger van. But with this option, I'd HAVE to get a 4x4 conversion which would run another $4-5K on top of purchase price. Where I hunt is in a national forest and really rough roads / trails to get there. And right now I can't find a d-max passenger van anywhere in the whole country. There's plenty of cargo vans, but no passenger ones. I've looked in to adding windows to the cargo van, but I'd still be lacking the interior which I think I would not like.

So, what are everyone's thoughts?
I was having similar issues in my 02 suburban that I did 8.1 swap, but once I went with a Allison transmission with tow shift kit problem solved and also getting 18 on highway pulling 14,000 lbs behind me. Set cruise and runs smooth no downshift then upshift then downshift problem solved
Old 06-12-2022, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Hahahahahahaha

I think you mean "8"

ain't no 8.1 out there getting 18, especially with "14k" behind it 😂😂😂
Old 06-12-2022, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 763 Likes on 534 Posts

They don’t get that unloaded. Much less with 14k behind it. Freaking diesels don’t get that mileage. Nice try troll.
The following users liked this post:
arthursc2 (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 07:26 PM

Tomorrow I will be towing about 14k I can show pic of weight and will send pictures of my programmer showing 18 and picture of my 8.1 to show
Old 06-12-2022, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 763 Likes on 534 Posts

I’d rather see a picture of your trip meter with a picture of the gallons of gas used to fill the tank.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:52 PM

Deal when I fill up tomorrow morning I’ll reset trip meter and receipt of fuel put in and send at end of day
Old 06-12-2022, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Well hang on here. Has this thing been regeared and not adjusted for it? Because if you dropped gear and didnt retune that's would explain how you're covering more "miles" per XX of fuel

But it's still not getting 18, it's probably hardly getting 8 😂

I have a 6.0PSD and it won't get 15 empty, on its best day. Smaller motor, more efficient combustion process, more efficient heads, turbo, better gearing and lower RPM..... still not there

I'm not buying it with this 8.1 and 18 thing. Hell my 5.3 Tahoe bone stock driving the speed limit headed to sea level saw 19 out and 16ish back. Ain't no way man, sorry. You're full of ****
Old 06-12-2022, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My 8.1L with the 425 hp ho marine cam, headers and pcm tuning in my 1999 Tahoe empty not towing anything gets about 17 pretty regularly and maybe 18 on a cool day not running the a/c on the highway. It has a 4L80E, 3.42 gears and 32" tall P305/50R20s and turns 2,000 rpm @ 70. That MPG figure is leaning heavily into lean cruise and holding it to about 75-80 mph. If I pull my travel trailer with it, have to downshift to 3rd and it still eats fuel. 18 pulling 14K, not a chance in hell, a Duramax won't do that!

Quick Reply: 8.1 / 4L80E towing review