Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

2015 2500HD towing power

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 PM
Race your car!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 2500HD towing power

Looking to add some power to my tow rig, something that's gonna benefit it from 1500 RPm up.

Looking for intake tract info (cold air and if there's any of the aftermarket intakes that actually helped down low in the RPM range), what headers, if any helped the bottom end, whether or not the 1.8 rocker upgrade is worth it and if it is, who's are you using?

Looking to keep the stock reliability out of this, but if I can get another 20-30 ft lbs out of it starting as low in the rpm range as possible I think it will make things a good bit easier.

Only thing I've done is a muffler delete which I'm getting sick of and will be replacing the system with one of the aftermarket kits, or possibly just sectioning in a magnaflow or the like type of 3.5 in/out muffler into the exhaust and exit it out in front of the rear wheel... nothing crazy.

Interested to hear what people have done and what they've had good experiences with, and if there's anything to stay away from.

Also, looking for a tuner in the new England area that can do a 2015 2500HD with a 6.0 once I have these improvements done, figuring that once I make a round of mods and a tune on the truck it should liven it up a bunch.

Again, this is a daily driver, tow rig.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

I'm not saying there isn't another way but...... It seems that a lot of the bolt on items may give you a bit more power but honestly on a truck that heavy you need a considerable power gain to feel it... The best thing to get would be a supercharger.. I have a Magnuson tvs1900. It's a pretty big investment but you WILL NOTICE a COSIDERABLE gain in power and it comes in right off idle. You can spend a lot of money on little things that are suppose to work and at the end, not gain enough to make you happy. With the Magnuson you keep everyday drivability, stock gas milage or even better than stock driving around town and it will tow A LOT better. My .02¢.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Race your car!

I've looked into that and at this point agree that this would, be the best way to go.

I'm looking into doing a full header back exhaust setup, something that won't sound bad and should pick up some power, and if nothing else, if I do a Maggie setup later on it would be to it's benefit I'm sure.

Main thing I don't want to do is sacrifice the towing reliability of the truck, the Maggie setup does seem like it would fit my needs.

Too bad I can't find a take-off supercharger setup from one of the SS pickup's that Chevy put out a while back, that would probably be perfect if it was pullied to about 6 to 7 psi or so.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

The magnuson 1900 will fit your needs perfectly, you can get that 7 psi pretty easily. It will drive pretty much stock till a little over 2k and then the boost goes up with rpms. Really nice setup, my 2500hd has this and a bunch of mods and it runs twice as good as a stock one. Its alot of money up front tho but well worth it. Helps towing a ton with over 100hp added.

Doing headers tho will help but not like you think,with it being stock it still needs backpressure. They are hard to keep quiet and nobody makes a complete kit. So be ready for that. I had to buy 6.0 headers and the crossover pipe. Only 2 companies that i know of make em that fit good and keep dual pipes back to the crossmember. American racing and stainless works make really good headers, i have stainless works 6.0 headers, They are over 1k tho.

Last edited by flatblack83; 03-22-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:44 AM
Race your car!

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look intnthe stainless works setup. I built
The headers on my race car sonif I have to build something it's not the end of the world.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My '15 is a 4wd gasser with a work bed on it. I have it loaded down pretty heavy (pushing 9K for the truck) and put a lot of miles on it through every type of terrain. I noticed a decent seat of the pants gain by switching it to E85 and leaving everything else stock. I'm sure headers and a small blower would be the best route but it's hard to beat 15-20hp by putting a different pump nozzle in it at the gas station. I regularly tow a 8K 32' bumper pull camper and it does well. I run it in M5 so it won't try to shift into 6th, holds 65mph in cruise no problem at about 25-2600rpm. I've ran it like that for hours on end without issue. Trans holds in the 160's with stock cooling components.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:05 PM
Race your car!

I plan to leave it in M5 as I'm not big on going much over 65 when towing anything... tires aren't really meant for it, beats up the trailer more, brakes a lot more, etc.

I have found that the head casting # on my motor comes up as the square port ls3 type head so if I were to do a blower at this point, I think one of the LSA blowers would be the way I'd go since it should bolt right on.

I don't know who around CT can tune one of these anymore so that would be the next challenge. I figure I'll do the exhaust I want to do first, to get the drone of the strait pipe out, get a few other projects done then start looking for one of the LSA setups.

Hopefully someone will have a complete kit that I can buy to go on the truck. Have to put electric fans on I am sure of that for it, other than that I can't see this being anything more than a strait forward install.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You have the right idea. The LSA blower should be a real nice bolt on upgrade. Still blows my mind that these things are coming with a clutch fan and not electric.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Race your car!

Yeah I'm a little surprised at it myself.

Likely get the exhaust done and then figure out what I have to do to get the electric fans on a 2015HD, not sure if anyone's making a kit for that. I'd bet it helps a bit with the gas mileage, I'd imagine the cooling would be as good as well.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 218 Likes on 147 Posts

I had the same goals for my 2500HD...even bought a mild cam. then I sold the cam and i'm waiting for a good deal on a MP112 supercharger. bolt ons aren't going to help the towing much at all IMO.