PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   8-Lug Truck Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/8-lug-truck-performance-149/)
-   -   01 8.1L build up suggestions. (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/8-lug-truck-performance-149/01-8-1l-build-up-suggestions-469591/)

Kerr 09-23-2010 12:59 PM

01 8.1L build up suggestions.

Well apparently the 132K miles of abuse my suburban has seen has finally caused a issue... my oil and coolent are doing doing some david copperfield tricks. Im pretty sure it came from the 260+* on the thermastat for about hour....

Anyway, i have the fallowing parts, but would love some suggestions on pistons, rods, etc.

Currently in the garge.

intercooled whipple,
comp cam XR270HR
Comp springs retainers, pushrods.
60lb injectors, 255 pump, and inline booster pump
JBA headers, 3" down pipes, dual 3" exhaust from headers back...

So, whats im thinking is this
1) port and polish stock heads...
2) pistons for boost, maybe lower compression and .20 or 30 over if the block needs it.
3) good set of rods. Raylar said the stock rods are as stong as other bigblock chevys.
4) good set of head gaskets.
5) arp bolts
6) maybe clean up the stock intake manifold, But ive seen good and bad doing this... guess it will depend on what that cost.

So... I know tierods has killed a few 8100's :kali: and one had mahle pistons. I dont think he has ever had rod failure..

xx_ED_xx 09-23-2010 01:05 PM

yeah get the diamonds for boost, I have tried getting head bolts from raylar twice now and no dice. the mahles are the brittle forged pistons i want to say 2618 and 40 something if you call diamond they will steer you in the right direction.

Kerr 09-23-2010 01:16 PM

awsome...

Rylar makes some good stuff and has been nice when i spoke with them... awsome company, but in the e mail i got from him i might have misread the price but i think they are charging $1380 for rods, then $1380 for pistons... Seems high... or im retarded and dont understand what they typed. lol...

Diamond pistons? Just google them and it will show there web page... Ive never head of them.

xx_ED_xx 09-23-2010 01:21 PM

My new motor will be done here in a few weeks
zz502 cam
cnc ported iron heads
2.19 1.88 stainless steel valves 11/32 stems
new springs
mahle forged pistons
balanced with h beam rods
modified stock intake with az speed and marine monoblade TB
42 pound marine 8.1 injectors
TOG headers dual 3 inch into single 4 inch out
new t56 built by joey at tick
mcleod scattershield and dual disc clutch
keiseler shifter relocation setup
rear 4 link suspension
z06 c6 corvette brakes with 15 inch rotor front
new wheels and tires
plus some other crap i forgot i bought

thundert56 09-23-2010 02:05 PM

I have an extra set of stock heads and intake for sale if interested. I have raylar 103 kit and mahle forged pistons with scat H beam rods. so far so good. I paid 3500 for rods, pistons, injecters, timing chain, head gaskets, so if I remember correctly the rods and pistons alone cost about 1,400. the multi layer cometic head gaskets is what raylar sell the are about 180 for the set and are reusable. raylar sells a cam specificly for supercharging. I also run taylor 10.4 MM race wires. Ray at raylar has helped me everytime I had a question and was real great to work with over the phone. good luck with your build. for E-fans I run FF dynamics

Kerr 09-23-2010 02:19 PM

awsome, you both should have a nasty truck!

What do you want for the used heads and intake?

Ray has alwasy been a grate help when ive had questions as well... Then again he is the only company i know of that has done anything with these motors.

xx_ED_xx 09-24-2010 04:44 AM

I will have a complete stock motor for sale here shortly, You can here it run in my truck or see videos on youtube

user name sb0mbsilverado

thundert56 09-24-2010 07:57 AM

what are your daily use's for the suburban? do you tow alot?
are you just tryin to build the fastest burban around?

Kerr 09-24-2010 01:03 PM

No its not a daily driver anymore. It has become, my truck, tractor, snow mobile, tow rig, etc... we used it for everthing that you wouldnt want to use a nice truck for lol... its had a hard life.

I do tow, the corvette is about 3400 lbs id say. Its a 67 model, the trailer is about 3K lbs as well. Every now and then it will get a skid steer or dozer behind it but not often.. i use my buddy diesel for the huge loads...

So in a nut shell, it just sets until one of the other cars is down for service, or its needed to do stuff you would want to do to a new suv...

It doesent look back in the shade lol..

[IMG]http://inlinethumb32.webshots.com/43...500x500Q85.jpg[/IMG]

thundert56 09-25-2010 06:25 AM

Nice lookin burban
are you runnin the levelin kit and 285s?
Who did the snorkel?
with all this work you want to do your gonna need a much bigger snorkel!!!