Western CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, HI, AK

Texas to Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:38 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
Thanks FastBrick for all the info. So if I get CARB legal cats to put in the exhaust will that be enough to pass since I did the long tube headers prior to moving to CA or do I have to have the factory manifolds and cats to keep the factory position?

Honestly not sure where to look. I will be working in Palo Alto and my wife will be working at the southern tip of Fremont, almost to San Jose I believe. We were kind of looking in the Fremont area as it seemed to be a bit cheaper than the surrounding areas but honestly not sure what areas are "good" or "bad". Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
You will Need Carb approved short or mid length headers or Oem Exhaust manifolds with 50 State legal catalytic converters.

Long tube headers will not pass the Visual inspection in CA period.

There should be plenty of shops up and around that area. ask here in the western section or Maybe look on tech. You might also find Some car groups in that area such as through facebook.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
You will Need Carb approved short or mid length headers or Oem Exhaust manifolds with 50 State legal catalytic converters.

Long tube headers will not pass the Visual inspection in CA period.

There should be plenty of shops up and around that area. ask here in the western section or Maybe look on tech. You might also find Some car groups in that area such as through facebook.
Ok, that is what I was afraid of. Well, as much as I would hate to do it I may just leave the truck with my parents. Not sure how long we will be out in CA but I think we can make it work with one vehicle at least for the time being. I really don't have any extra money to put towards making the truck legal. I don't have the factory manifolds or Y-pipe anymore and I'm running factory 3.5" exhaust so it wouldn't fit up to my factory Y-pipe anyway without some work........wonder if a 6.2 manifolds and Y-pipe would fit??
Old 04-08-2016, 12:48 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
Thanks FastBrick for all the info. So if I get CARB legal cats to put in the exhaust will that be enough to pass since I did the long tube headers prior to moving to CA or do I have to have the factory manifolds and cats to keep the factory position?

Honestly not sure where to look. I will be working in Palo Alto and my wife will be working at the southern tip of Fremont, almost to San Jose I believe. We were kind of looking in the Fremont area as it seemed to be a bit cheaper than the surrounding areas but honestly not sure what areas are "good" or "bad". Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I've been in NorCal my whole life, and know the area pretty well. The peninsula (from SF to San Jose) is one of the most expensive (but nicest) places to live. The East Bay is cheaper, but still expensive. I wouldn't go north of San Lorenzo, Fremont and Union City are pretty good. I live in Pleasanton, about 10-15 min from Fremont.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Good luck in your move.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks man! Sent you a PM