Western CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, HI, AK

Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arizona

I may be moving to Arizona and I'm trying to figure out what kind of emissions laws, if any, the state of Arizona has. Any Arizona residents on this site?
Old 05-18-2015, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes there are emissions if you live in a major county. Pre96=tailpipe sniffer test. 96&up it's an obd2 check. We can get away with basically anything. If you live in rural county's you can register for 5 years at a time.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gamble686
Yes there are emissions if you live in a major county. Pre96=tailpipe sniffer test. 96&up it's an obd2 check. We can get away with basically anything. If you live in rural county's you can register for 5 years at a time.
Hmm.....So it sounds like I'll be ok if I'm running a turbo'd and straight piped '06 Silverado if I'll be living in, or just outside of, Phoenix? If I can't then I won't move to Arizona.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:21 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I passed with a similar setup. They are supposed to do a visual check but I never got flagged for anything. Just make sure your OBD2 readiness tests are complete and there are no emissions codes stored or CEL on.

Worst case, you can register it to an address outside of the Phoenix/Tucson areas.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

I have no cats and im just fine. they plug in and dont even sniff. trucks tuned so i know it runs clean with no CELs.

Az is one of the most lenient states when it comes to emissions.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically the emmissions is done at a state run facility and the people their aren't exactly gear heads. They are trained to plug it in and check for the obd2 codes nothing else really. You can get away with just about anything. In the rural stuff no rules.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

Arizona Revised Statutes - Arizona Legislature

28-955. Mufflers; noise and air pollution prevention; emissions control devices; civil penalty; exception
A. A motor vehicle shall be equipped at all times with a muffler that is in good working order and that is in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
B. A person shall not use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device on a motor vehicle on a highway.
C. The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be equipped and adjusted to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.
D. Beginning with motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines of the 1968 model year, motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines shall be equipped with emissions control devices that meet the standards established by the director of environmental quality.
E. A person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least one hundred dollars.
F. This section does not apply to an electrically powered motor vehicle.
So you need a working muffler, and the rest of the exhaust has to perform like the director of environmental quality says it does. (which I would guess is just what the limits are when you get it smog checked)..

28-955.04. Exhaust system; visual inspection; requirements; civil penalty
A. A commercial motor vehicle that operates in this state shall have an exhaust system that is detectable by a visual inspection and that meets all of the following:
1. Is free from a defect that adversely affects sound reduction.
2. Is equipped with either a muffler or other noise dissipative device.
3. Is not equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device.
B. A person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least five hundred dollars. If the person shows the court that a muffler has been installed or the existing muffler has been serviced to comply with subsection A, the court may reduce or waive the civil penalty.
So, I'm assuming that means removing the cats.... AND WOULD/COULD?? also inlcudes egr block off or air circulation pump too. This refers to COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE. I could not find anything else talking about personal vehicles.

Dept of Environmental quality
FAQs | myAZcar.com

Q: Who is required to have their vehicle emissions tested?
A: All residents of the greater Phoenix and Tucson areas and those who regularly commute into the areas for work or school are required to have their 1967 or newer vehicles pass an emissions test. Most vehicles newer than 6 years old are exempt from testing, and certain other vehicle exemptions apply (see Exemptions). If you are not sure if you live in the emissions control area, CLICK HERE.

Q: What is tampering?
A: “Tampering” means removing, defeating, or altering an emissions control device that was installed on a vehicle at the time the vehicle was manufactured. Defeating includes failure to repair any malfunctioning emission control system or device.

So basically everyone up to this point has said, that the inspectors are just lazy, and not doing there job. The way I see it to be legal would be: I think that's obvious you need cats, a muffler, and if factory equipped you need resonators. I read that as you need to retain EGR and air injection too. That the Tampering is the reason you can't alter your exhaust system, but to what point????? Can anyone KNOWINGLY, confirm or deny this?? I am not concerned with what you can get away with, I want to know if ITS POSSIBLE, that doing anything different COULD screw me over...

I am looking at redoing my exhaust system to include headers, and have only found one pair that fits my 02 Silverado that retains EGR and air injection pump, (Flowmaster Scavenger Series Elite Headers 814123). I would rather not have that little more, but not have to worry about being caught down the road.

PS. For those who just use an outside address, keep in mind it does say "those who regularly commute to Phoenix or Tucson are required too".

Last edited by adriver; 09-25-2017 at 01:46 AM.