WEAPONS What? Trucks and weapons don't go together?

New Rifle opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rifle opinions

Okay gents, I need some opinions. I'm getting a bit bored chasing loads with my 700 long range. Right now, I'm looking hard at an FN SPR A5 or A3G. Has anyone on here had a decent amount of experience with either of these? How do they shoot? Are the groups consistent? The only issue I have with my 700 is inconsistency. It'll shoot 1/2in groups with a paticular load for 20-40 rounds or so. A week later, it might only group around 1-1/2in at a 100, never coming back below an inch. The action has been bedded, loads looked at hard and adjusted, powder from the same lot, bullets sorted, brass prepped and sorted, and primers from the same lot. I've actually played with different powders, brass, primers, bullets, and seating depths. Seems the more I shoot it, the more inconsistent it gets. So back to the top, any opinions or advice?
Old 05-08-2016, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usmc3521
Okay gents, I need some opinions. I'm getting a bit bored chasing loads with my 700 long range. Right now, I'm looking hard at an FN SPR A5 or A3G. Has anyone on here had a decent amount of experience with either of these? How do they shoot? Are the groups consistent? The only issue I have with my 700 is inconsistency. It'll shoot 1/2in groups with a paticular load for 20-40 rounds or so. A week later, it might only group around 1-1/2in at a 100, never coming back below an inch. The action has been bedded, loads looked at hard and adjusted, powder from the same lot, bullets sorted, brass prepped and sorted, and primers from the same lot. I've actually played with different powders, brass, primers, bullets, and seating depths. Seems the more I shoot it, the more inconsistent it gets. So back to the top, any opinions or advice?
I lost all of my long guns in a fire a year ago this month. About a month ago, I picked up a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creemoor and that rifle is awesome out of the box. For $1200.00, you will be impressed.

I like that caliber so much, I went and bought a Ruger American and one of the new ATN X-sight II digital night vision scopes and a high power infrared light. I dont have it set up yet, but clear 200 yrd clear visibility out of a $750 investment is not bad. So far, an overall $1200 investment.

Last edited by rijrunr; 05-08-2016 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Add data
Old 05-09-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you can't shoot consistently with a properly setup 700 then it's ammo or shooter related...
Old 05-09-2016, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
if you can't shoot consistently with a properly setup 700 then it's ammo or shooter related...
Normally I'd agree with you. However, three different shooters, literally hundreds of different loads factory and hand loads, and still inconsistent results leads me to believe that there's an issue with the bore, chamber, or both. Day 1, was grouping at 1/2 moa hornady m1 match ammo. Day 2, same ammo lot, rifle grouped in at 1.5 moa. Day 3, rifle and ammo combo back down to .6 moa. This has been going on for awhile. Remington won't touch the issue saying that it meets their criteria. I'm sorry, but a heavy barrel 700 should be able to consistently group at MOA or under. If you still believe it's me or my ammo, you're more than welcome to come shoot it.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear the setup is inconsistent. Maybe time to sell.

rijrunr- which magnification on the ATN did you go with?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

guess you didn't READ my post... I said PROPERLY SETUP... meaning, if the shooter/load isn't the issue, I would believe it to be the rifle itself...
Old 05-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Launching!

guess you didn't READ my post... I said PROPERLY SETUP... meaning, if the shooter/load isn't the issue, I would believe it to be the rifle itself...
You guess wrong sir. Read your original post again. It sounds a whole lot like you're blaming me or the ammo. I merely was conveying my experience with the rifle thus far. I understand the 700 is capable of shooting well. I know this as I have a hunter weight 06 that shoots very well. However, I am in need of a long range stick. I don't like the ergonomics of the TRG22/42, and getting an SSG04 or 08 re barreled is next to impossible. Therefore, I am asking for experience with an FN SPR bolt gun where accuracy and quality are guaranteed. Lastly, I was not being sarcastic. My offer for you, or anyone, to come and shoot it still stands.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shupe
Sorry to hear the setup is inconsistent. Maybe time to sell.

rijrunr- which magnification on the ATN did you go with?
It sucks, but it is a mass produced rifle. There's bound to be a few bad ones. I don't think that I could morally sell it knowing that it has issues. May have to put it on the back burner until funds open up. More than likely going to toss a hart on there and bed it in a McMillan a3 stock. I don't like tossing that much money at a stock, but the ergonomics fit me better than the hs precision.

As for the Ruger precision rifle, I actually was considering it until I got to shoot one. The recoil was nothing, the weight was perfect, but the stock didn't really fit me. I found it to be uncomfortable the whole time. The accuracy was decent though.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:22 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

I dunno. I read it yesrerday and today again and still read it like usmc took it. You literally said then its ammo or shooter related lol. I dont see how else we could read it.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry it wasn't taken how I intended... broken down to the basics, the 700 is the most used long range rifle in the world for a reason... if it isn't shooting right then there are three variables well four really including weather conditions. Shooter, ammo and proper setup for the weapon are the other three.

Take the rifle to a professional and have it checked out, tell them exactly what the issue is and they can go over it and tell you if there is an issue with it. If it's fine, then you need to look at the other two variables in the equation.

Quick Reply: New Rifle opinions