Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Scan Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CC05
PLX makes some really, really good stuff. Get it and you won't complain.

Look up ScanGuage (yes, ScanGuage), too. I know a lot of people with them, but I've never really asked anything about them.

I looked at the scanguage earlier. Not bad.

The only one's that seem to show trans temp is the aeroforce.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a ScanGauge II and loved it. It showed trans temp.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a scangauge2 everyday. I read water temp, trans temp, average fuel economy and usually cycle the 4th gauge to whatever I'm feeling that day, usually instant MPG, HP, AFR, voltage, torque, engine load, throttle position, etc.... I just wish I could datalog with the scangauge, so I could send the information into Nelson and they could tweek my mail order tune. Otherwise I've been using it since 2008 everyday with no problems. The newest version has a performance gauge that will measure you 1/4 & 0-60 times.
You can adjust the color & contrast that works best for your setup, I've never had a problem being able to read it. Velcros right to my steering column, cord sneaks under dash to OBD port.

I thought about upgrading to PLX gauge & wideband just so I could datalog, but price doesn't seem worth it since I already have a scangauge.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

My only concern is if these run off the OBD port how are you going to monitor the gauges since you will have to unplug them when you hook up HP Tuners or something like that. Or am I way over thinking this?

I know you can do analog for the wide band but what about fuel pressure??
Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Question for you - does the LS swap into a 94 include the OBD port? Do you mount it under the dash like in the 96+ vehicles? Scangauge only reads from OBD port and the cord is a certain length. If you decided on scangauge, you might verify that cord length won't be an issue.

I've read where certain types of gauges (PLX-6) require you to install sensor modules for each parameter you want to monitor, others only read OBD information (scangauge) and some will do both (PLX-100).
Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

When I was looking at the Aeroforce scan gauge you needed additional sensors and it can only read 2 additional ones. I was going to pick up one and get the wide band kit and fuel pressure kit. This still left me needing another gauge for boost

I already had a wide band in the door though so opted for just picking up two more gauges and calling it good. Might look into this more when I have some money to blow. Be nice if you could stuff all your readings you need into one gauge
Old 02-25-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I was looking, I thought that the plx-100 did all of that. It reads OBD information, cleared codes, up to 32 sensor modules daisy chained together, all in a single gauge. Hope I got that right but thats how I understood it.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Well my problem is I wanted to add 3 inputs that it can not read from the OBD port. According to their site you can only add 2.
The two analog inputs can be configured through menu choices. A linear conversion can be entered so that an analog signal connected to the gauge can be read in appropriate units. These inputs are handy for pressure signals such as those from MAP and oil pressure sensors, analog outputs from Air/Fuel ratio kits, etc. These signal can then be read and recorded along side the other parameters obtained on the vehicle's bus.
I was wanting one guage to read all the OBD info plus I wanted to add "boost" "fuel pressure" and "AFR". I can add two but not all 3. Obviously you can get two of them and daisy chain them and have a **** ton of into in front of you.

I already had a really nice wide band setup so I just opted to buy two separate gauges for boost and fuel pressure.

If they eventually come up with a way that I can plug 3 sensors into it and get all the above in one gauge I will sell all I have and do that. Would love to have one gauge in the door pod tell me everything
Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KC_kid
Question for you - does the LS swap into a 94 include the OBD port? Do you mount it under the dash like in the 96+ vehicles? Scangauge only reads from OBD port and the cord is a certain length. If you decided on scangauge, you might verify that cord length won't be an issue.

I've read where certain types of gauges (PLX-6) require you to install sensor modules for each parameter you want to monitor, others only read OBD information (scangauge) and some will do both (PLX-100).
I will be running an OBD II port under my dash. The only snag is my 94 has ABS, so I might have to leave the original OBD I port under the dash, and run 2. Shouldn't be a big deal really.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
My only concern is if these run off the OBD port how are you going to monitor the gauges since you will have to unplug them when you hook up HP Tuners or something like that. Or am I way over thinking this?

I know you can do analog for the wide band but what about fuel pressure??
Amazon.com: OBDII Splitter Y Cable, J1962M to 2-J1962F, 1ft (145802): Automotive

Quick Reply: Scan Gauges