Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

98 ford f150 Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ford f150 Help ASAP

My father has a ford 150 4.6, the problem we are having is difficult hope that someone can really help me since I am at a dead end. When you turn the truck on and it is running everything is ok. When you turn the the truck off and the key is out everything is still working radio ac everything when you open the door it is still the same. When the truck is in park and the engine is running it keeps wanting to restart itself and when it is in neutral does the same thing but when it is in reverse or drive it stops. I replaced the ingintion switch, What could be the problem ?
Old 12-19-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of things come to mind. Do you have a remote starter? It may be malfunctioning. Also, there might be water running from around the windshield and down into the computer under the driver's side dash. I've seen problems with wet computers before. You can take it out and dry it really good with a blow dryer.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by swift700
A couple of things come to mind. Do you have a remote starter? It may be malfunctioning. Also, there might be water running from around the windshield and down into the computer under the driver's side dash. I've seen problems with wet computers before. You can take it out and dry it really good with a blow dryer.
I see I dont have a remote start and the funny thing is I had a heater core go bad and water was all over the inside of the truck you think this could be the problem? Casue it just started happening this week and the heater core has been leaking for about 2 weeks.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water will do some strange things to the computers. Are you saying you had coolant all over inside? Where is the heater core located?

Have a look around under the driver's side for the computer and run your hand around and feeling for water. If the winshields leak on these, it runs down the pillar, inside and onto the computer. I fixed one once by drying it out for a couple of days. You'll need to replace your windshield seal if this is the problem.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like u might have a ignition wire problem, the ignition is still hot, and turning over when in park or neutral with the key off? but when u put it in gear it s fine? it cant "restart" itself in gear because of the neutral safety switch. i would definitely check out the ignition switch harness, and starter connections
Old 12-19-2010, 06:57 PM
formerly 1fstrst (11/25/2010)

Damn. I work at a ford dealership and have never heard of all those probs happening at the same time. the radio still on when the key is out sounds like the door switch is bad. It is located on the door where it latches to the frame. Try and spray some lube towards the bottom of the latch. try and see if the prob goes away by turning the truck off and opening the pass side door and closing it. if the radio goes away it is the driver side switch. I will run this by a few of the techs at work and see if i can help you out on the other issue.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeGibbSilverado
sounds like u might have a ignition wire problem, the ignition is still hot, and turning over when in park or neutral with the key off? but when u put it in gear it s fine? it cant "restart" itself in gear because of the neutral safety switch. i would definitely check out the ignition switch harness, and starter connections
no when the key is out it is fine. But when you put the key in the on position and not start it it will start lol. But when i disconect the small wire leading to the starter silenoid on the firewall it stops but I still have power to everything. This is strange I am going to name the truck christine for those who have seen the movie......lol Keep um coming I am trying different things and all have failed but hell I am up for anything at this moment?