Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Tuner Question - Drive-by-wire issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner Question - Drive-by-wire issue

Tuner Question - Drive-by-wire issue
I plan to install a 2014 and up LV3 4.3lt in this. But I will have to splice into the drive-by-wire accelerator harness to make it long enough.

Passenger front view of Ultravan #231. Also know as Uv231 Project. Plans to install an LV3 4.3lt, 6L80e 6 speed Auto with paddle shifting in the back under the bed.

Tuner Question about Drive-by wire...
Is there a way in the HP Tuner setup to make adjustments should the readings change - due to the type and length of wire needed to make the drive-by-wire long enough to work in the above vehicle?

Thank you,
Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I wold say if you use 1 size larger wire you will be just fine. The wires going to the ECM are very low current and short of you adding 100ft of wiring you should be just fine.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you Atomic. FYI - I am only adding about 15 feet (is my guess) because the engine will be in the back of a 22 foot long vehicle. But I am clueless on Tuners and Tuner programs and what would happen if the Oms / Voltage was a little off from factory specs after I did my mods to make it work in this project.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:35 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Your throttle would in theory have an offset downwards so you have a deadspot at the beginning and dont go all the way to the top on the big end. However 15ft of an appropriate sized wire would not have a meaningful or noticeable impact.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

I do NOT want any issues - dead spots or problems at WOT. And I understand that you think there should be no problems with me doing this mod - to lengthen the drive-by-wires.

I am a retired mechanic. But I have been away from the everyday grind way too long. Tuner programs and how they work - is over my head. I will need to find a personal tuner to help me when the time comes. I just don't want to go to all the trouble and expense to install this newer power-plant into the older Motorhome and not be able to have it run properly.

Just covering any down side - should it happen:
In theory - If adding length to the drive-by-wire does change the readings from factory specs so that the current program does not run properly. Will a personal tuner with a good TUNING program - be able to go into the system and reset the specs to the new findings, oms or readings to make it work correctly?

If so - Both sides (everything goes smoothly or I have issues) are covered and I feel more comfortable moving forward with my project.

Thank you again for your help and time.

Sincerely,
Tony
Old 12-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

If there were a big enough issue that it set a fault, technically you could go in and change calibrations that interpret signals from the pedal position sensors, if they are available in HPT/EFI... However in that case you'd also need someone who can then re-work the diagnostic calibrations and other junk as well, seeing as anything to do with pedal/throttle is very sensitive to potential problems...there's a reason they double up on the position sensors I'd just do what Atomic recommended. Step up in gauge to keep resistance low for the extra length. If you want to be precise, ohm out the APP circuit wiring and compare it to your new 15 foot replacement wiring. As long as they are virtually the same, you'll be fine.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Guys thanks for the great info and your patience... I found a Tuner company who says that they have a program for the power-plant I am going to use and I hope to find a personal tuner when the time comes. As long as I remember - when the project is done - I will post more in the Project section.

Thank you again for your help, time and patience.

Sincerely,
Tony