Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Truck cranks but wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck cranks but wont start.

Ive been dealing with this issue for 3 months now and i cannot figure this out for the life of me.

06 Silverado, 5.3

Ok every once in a while the fuel pump wont prime when i turn the key on and truck cranks but will not start. If i let it sit for a couple hours, my truck will start up just fine and runs perfect. A couple shops told me to try replacing the fuel pump but i don"t want to drop 400 bucks on one and hope it fixes the problem. One guy told me he has seen this problem before and talked about a wire burning up in the steering column that runs to the security system. He told me to switch the key on/off 5 times on the fifth time leave it on until my security light starts blinking and that would tell me its the security cutting power to the fuel pump. I tried this last night while i was stuck but the light never blinked. Does anybody have any suggestions? This is driving me insane!!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What all have you tried to do so far?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn key on. Listen for fuel pump. You should hear it whine for a few seconds then stop. If you don't hear it then check the fuel pump relay to see if it clicks twice when you turn the key on. If it doesn't click, swap it with your HDLP-HI relay and try again. If it still doesn't click, then you have a PassLock II issue- most likely a worn out key.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Check if you are getting spark, If you are, purge one of the fuel rails, Push the button that looks like the valve on a tire Fuel should squirt out
If you have that then try this

Insert key, attempt to start the vehicle and leave the key in the ON position.
In some vehicles, the Battery and Security light will blink for several seconds, and then shut off. Then the Security light will then remain ON. Leave the ignition ON until the Security light goes OFF. This will take more than 5 mins.
When the Security light goes OFF, turn the ignition to the OFF position.
Leave ignition OFF for 20 Seconds.
Attempt to start the vehicle again and leave the key in the ON position.
In some vehicles, the Battery and Security light will blink for several seconds, and then shut off. Then the Security light will then remain ON. Leave the ignition ON until the Security light goes OFF. This will take more than 5 mins.
Turn the ignition to the OFF position for 20 Seconds.
Attempt to start the vehicle again and leave the key in the ON position.
Once this entire procedure has been completed (three times) your vehicle will start on the fourth attempt.
Note: Some vehicles perform the relearn in a different sequence. You may notice your security light, battery light and abs light will alternate. Once the security light is left out of the sequence that is considered one step. Repeat the procedure two more times and on the fourth time your vehicle will start.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New AC Delco Fuel Pump Module Repair Kit MU1613, MU1516, MU1089, MU86 | eBay

Cheaper fix for a fuel pump that is out than the whole sending unit. I did it to mine recently. Moderate pain in the *** cause I did it alone and dropped the fuel tank. If you can pull your bed it'll be a cake walk. Be careful with the EVAP line on the tank, that Tee fitting broke on mine and it was f'n impossible to find the right sized one, and a new EVAP line is like $200.