Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Total timing with 87 octane, 2002 5.3 Z71 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Am using fuel trims, with copy, paste special x 1/2.lop..

I actually have a hardwired AEM wideband, that I know can be used with the HPTuners, but again, it goes back to me not keeping current with the abilities of both me and the software. In other words, I have absolutely no idea how to tune using wideband AFR error....sad but true.

I can't upload the VE tuning "tune" until I'm back at work tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

​​​BTW, I tried running it in open loop, and it was so lean, that my wideband was pegged lean...

I did some quick reading, and it looks like connecting the MPVI to my AEM wideband is very simple. I just need to run a 2 wire jumper harness over to the console area that can allow me to quick connect to the HPT.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

It happens, the first time I went open loop wideband tuning it was in the 16-17 range while driving, no big deal at low rpm cruise speeds.

After the first 15-20min log of getting data and putting it towards the VE table it brought everything right back down to 15ish. Only took me like 3 maybe 4 log files to get my VE dialed in.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FFDP
It happens, the first time I went open loop wideband tuning it was in the 16-17 range while driving, no big deal at low rpm cruise speeds.

After the first 15-20min log of getting data and putting it towards the VE table it brought everything right back down to 15ish. Only took me like 3 maybe 4 log files to get my VE dialed in.
Yeah, I thought my wideband took a crap, at first...when the AEM is pegged lean, you just see 3 dashes, and no numbers...

Sorry to be a pest, but OPEN LOOP is where I should be, when I get the wideband sync'ed with my HPTuners, correct?

I attached my last "tune" TRY, which I literally threw in the recycle bin (and put it back to my old tune for now), because it just wasn't falling into line for me..., and the VE tuning flash I am using, below...

I appreciate the help... I feel like an idiot for having the software and the wideband, and just not keeping up with it...
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
87OCTANE 28570r17 tire.hpt (303.6 KB, 55 views)
87OCTANE VETUNING.hpt (309.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by rel3rd; 02-01-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

If you are using the wideband to tune it, yeah you want to disable closed loop and the fuel trims. Even disable COT and DFCO so they don't skew things.

Once things are tuned you can enable closed loop and fuel trims again then see how it runs. Making minor adjustments from there.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FFDP
If you are using the wideband to tune it, yeah you want to disable closed loop and the fuel trims. Even disable COT and DFCO so they don't skew things.

Once things are tuned you can enable closed loop and fuel trims again then see how it runs. Making minor adjustments from there.
I think my VE tuning flash above has all the DFCO, COT, and every other adders (for timing) disabled to try and get some sort of steady data...

The wideband hookup will have to wait a bit. I "think" I have the proper settings in my configs, but if it's anything like my past luck, probably not...lol.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Just to update...

I gave it one last try yesterday after work...

The VE still seems to want those big numbers.

VE tuning flash has the MAF, LTFT, PE, all disabled.

Had to tweak and reflash 4, maybe 5 times.

Truck kept running noticeably better and better after each flash.

Majority of my VE logs showed negative fuel trims, so I re-enabled the MAF, LTFT's, and PE, and logged the drive to work this morning.

LTFT's were -5% or less (most -4%)
STFT's were averaging -2% to -3%
WOT AFR was right at commanded of 12.2 according to my wideband (not connected through HPTuners)

I'm guessing the VE numbers want to be where they are?

One log, just for the heck of it, I set the ones that are 120-130 at 90, and the whole log was RED, adding 25 or more % fuel...

attached my VE tuning flash, and my current "finished" tune, with LTFT's, PE, and MAF all back in play.

Any feedback?
Attached Files
87OCTANE VETUNING.hpt (309.8 KB, 62 views)
87OCTANE 2.1.2017.hpt (292.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 02-03-2017, 05:33 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Probably a good time to check fuel pressure and spark plugs/gap. And as close as that truck is to stock, I would re-enable LTFT. Because the engine must meet steady state criteria before updating LTFT cells, the upstream O2 sensor relocation will have minimal effect. As far as spark goes, it is possible to add too much without getting knock. Too much ignition timing at 'low' engine load will induce negative torque on the crank before the mixture detonates.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:49 AM
11 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Probably a good time to check fuel pressure and spark plugs/gap. And as close as that truck is to stock, I would re-enable LTFT. Because the engine must meet steady state criteria before updating LTFT cells, the upstream O2 sensor relocation will have minimal effect. As far as spark goes, it is possible to add too much without getting knock. Too much ignition timing at 'low' engine load will induce negative torque on the crank before the mixture detonates.
I only have LTFT's disabled in the "VE Tuning" tune above. I have it enabled in the regular, current tune.

I attached 2 logs...one from the drive home yesterday, and one from drive into work today...trims look to be pretty good, aren't they? Todays, (2work.2.3.2017) a bit smoother and consistent than even yesterday's.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
2home.2.2.2017.hpl (536.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: hpl
2work.2.3.2017.hpl (808.7 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by rel3rd; 02-03-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:36 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
I only have LTFT's disabled in the "VE Tuning" tune above. I have it enabled in the regular, current tune.

I attached 2 logs...one from the drive home yesterday, and one from drive into work today...trims look to be pretty good, aren't they? Todays, (2work.2.3.2017) a bit smoother and consistent than even yesterday's.
Oh ok. I just looked at the first file you posted. Those trims look perfectly acceptable to me. The VE does look off though. If you're concerned, you can keep hunting for the problem. But as long as you've got your trans shift pressures dialed in right and you find a way to improve the fuel economy, you can just leave them as they are.
The following users liked this post:
rel3rd (02-03-2017)