Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Swap trouble/tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swap trouble/tune

First off pardon my ignorance on this subject. I know after swapping from a 5.3 to 6.0 a retune is mandatory but what I don't know is how will the 6.0 run on the 5.3 tune? Rich? Lean? Decent? I'm trying to figure out if I have bigger problems than just the tune. Here's the rundown:
2002 Silverado, had bolt on 5.3 with a black bear mail order tune that was too rich but ran good. Swapped to a stock block LQ9 but also had the 317's CNC ported, milled to 68cc and spring upgrade. Also has a 222/228 duration .599/.585 lift on a 111 custom cam. All from Frankenstein racing heads. I kept the 5.3 intake and injectors. The motor fired right up but it is crazy rich. So rich that it fouled the plugs. It idles very rough like a miss and will die. I also have a map sensor code that won't go away.
So I need schooled! Should I expect this set up to run this rich until it's tuned or could I have a vacuum leak causing a rich condition and the map code po106? I just want the thing right before scheduling the tune and taking off work. I hate to get to the tuner and he finds problems that I should have fixed before wasting his time. And I have the damn lifter noise that sux! Thank you in advance for any advice
Old 10-21-2016, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

So from the same thread you already made about this problem, what have to done to try and fix the map sensor issue?

Does it have power?

Have you checked all related fuses or anything IGN related for fuses.

Like I had said before, it's not going to run great at all. Way too much has changed from a 5.3 tune. I wouldn't drive it to a tuner, swap in larger injectors and trailer it there.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the map code problem fixed tonight. I changed the sensor to a new one, reset the code and so far it has stayed off! I idled the truck for a awhile and it looks as though the overly rich condition is gone. Plugs are looking on the lean side now. Which is what I expected to see after the swap. The truck seems to be a little better now. I looked into the deatschwerks injectors and see they have a 38lb injector. Would this be too big? If I have 58psi it flows like 44lb's? Just wondering if that's too much? Throttle response with that big of an injector be an issue? If not I will order them. I have a walbro 255 I just installed and fuel pressure shows to be around 58.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

They won't be too large, it will still be just fine for tuning.

If you ever took it further you'd have more injector room, not enough for boost but still room for more power.