Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

silverado 6.0 6l90 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverado 6.0 6l90 swap

Just did a l96 6l90 swap into my 2007 5.3 lh6 4l60 silverado. Just need a tune to get it up and running. I swapped almost the entire drivetrain from a 2012 2500hd; the engine, trans, transfer case, and harness. Everything in the harness plugged in except for the transfer case. Is there any adapter or rewiring available to get this to work?

Last edited by Silver8ado; 10-01-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:42 AM

Did you ever get this swap to work? I'm in the middle of a similar swap and not having good luck with the local tuning guys. They can't seem to figure it out and I'm starting to question their abilities. I see all over forums that people are doing the swap.

I started with an 07 tahoe LTZ, 4x4, with the 5.3 and 4L60. Swapped in a 6.0 LY6, 6L90, transfer case, wiring harness from an 09 suburban.

How did you go about the programming side of things and did you get things all resolved?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Aerow
Did you ever get this swap to work? I'm in the middle of a similar swap and not having good luck with the local tuning guys. They can't seem to figure it out and I'm starting to question their abilities. I see all over forums that people are doing the swap.

I started with an 07 tahoe LTZ, 4x4, with the 5.3 and 4L60. Swapped in a 6.0 LY6, 6L90, transfer case, wiring harness from an 09 suburban.

How did you go about the programming side of things and did you get things all resolved?
Body harness wouldnt mate up to the 6l90 transfer case and I couldnt find an adapter. There isnt much out there for the 6l90s so im building the 4l60. Justin from blackbear will be taking care of the tune once i get the vvt components wired to the harness because i ended up using the original wire harness. You might need the ecm that came with the motor but im not sure. I would email Justin or call Nelsons performance
Old 10-01-2015, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Aerow

There is alot more involved in the swap than most people post online. The biggest issue I see all the time is people getting mixed matched years of parts that arent capable.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Could also be a problem with the fuel system. The new wire harness will have to match the fuel system that it came with, return or return-less. I believe the difference is flex fuel as it requires a module to detect e85 in the tank
Old 10-01-2015, 12:10 PM

So this is where I am right now. I have had a couple shops look at it and they aren't getting anywhere. They did get the fuel gauge working.

My speedometer seems to work fine, but the odometer read about 2.8 miles for every 10 miles I actually drove. Could this be the difference in dash cluster? Is that possibly why the traction control, stabilitrak, airbag errors were coming on? I did recently buy a new instrument cluster that was in an 09 with the 6-speed tranny to swap in. It looks like it has the same plug too.

Right now, it is running in "limp mode", has airbag, traction control, stabilitrak, 4wd service messages, and the radio is theft locked. The last place that looked at it also locked up both of my ECMs and they can't explain why. They say they can't even make any changes to them now. They have put most of the modules in the tahoe back to stock, but I don't have a stock ECM now. I'm working on that.

I guess I'm starting to wonder if it will be worth the effort and cost if I never have everything working like it was anyway. I can easily still rebuild the old 4L60 and put it back in with the stock transfer case, but that seems like giving up and I don't want to (stubborn).

When i first did the swap, I could drive it fine with the computer out of the 09 suburban, but the transfer case never worked and the service 4wd, traction control, stabilitrak lights were on. The transmission would shift fine and the engine ran fine at that point. After having the local shops look at it, it seems like I'm making no headway, it is running worse for sure, and I'm not sure it will be worth the extra time/effort/cost.

Opinions?
Old 10-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Back in 2010 I did a 6L80 swap in my 07 NNBS single cab. The truck was originally a 4.8L/4L70E Combo.
To do the swap successfully I had to change the following parts.
6L80E
Engine Harness
Trans Crossmember
Transmission Lines
Custom Made Driveshaft
Retune the truck for a 6Speed.
The truck ran flawlessly.
To get the Tap Shift Options to work, I had to change the following parts:
Steering Column
Instrument Cluster
BCM
Everything worked like it should. The only lights I had on were:
traction light(because the truck didn't have a traction Control originally)
ABS light because the donor vehicle had been wrecked.

Try swapping out the BCM, maybe that will do the trick. During the swap I had changed out the cluster first and the tap shift would not work. The line that shows up under the letters in the Gear Selector screen would not light up. as soon as I swapped the BCM, the line showed up on the screen and it let me use the tap shift.

Im sure I could of got the lights to come off on the dash if I would have access to a Tech2 but I didn't at the time.
Good Luck Guys! don't give up.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jr. SXT
Back in 2010 I did a 6L80 swap in my 07 NNBS single cab. The truck was originally a 4.8L/4L70E Combo.
To do the swap successfully I had to change the following parts.
6L80E
Engine Harness
Trans Crossmember
Transmission Lines
Custom Made Driveshaft
Retune the truck for a 6Speed.
The truck ran flawlessly.
To get the Tap Shift Options to work, I had to change the following parts:
Steering Column
Instrument Cluster
BCM
Everything worked like it should. The only lights I had on were:
traction light(because the truck didn't have a traction Control originally)
ABS light because the donor vehicle had been wrecked.

Try swapping out the BCM, maybe that will do the trick. During the swap I had changed out the cluster first and the tap shift would not work. The line that shows up under the letters in the Gear Selector screen would not light up. as soon as I swapped the BCM, the line showed up on the screen and it let me use the tap shift.

Im sure I could of got the lights to come off on the dash if I would have access to a Tech2 but I didn't at the time.
Good Luck Guys! don't give up.
Did you get the BCM from the same vehicle you got the transmission from? Also, did you use the stock transfer case or the one from the 2012 truck? Same with the ECM? Also, who did your programming and do you remember what they programmed/did?

Last edited by Aerow; 10-01-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Teching In

the BCM was not from the same vehicle as the tranny. The only thing from the same vehicle was the instrument cluster and steering column. This was a 2wd, no transfer case. I was just throwing it out there that the transfer case might need the bcm to communicate with the vehicle.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:42 AM

One kinda random thing that has happened is that while doing the programming they have done, the last shop in town has managed to somehow lock up (3) different ECMs. They say they just lock up and they can't do anything else with them at all. Anybody run into this issue? I can't just keep replacing computers every time they try something new with it. Any way I can get these unlocked or something?

One place (the dealer) locked up two of them and then told me "sorry, there is nothing else we can do for you." Their customer service was probably the worst I have dealt with anywhere. Seems to me that if they lock my computers, they should have to replace them, no? Kinda like putting a broken starter on your car for a repair and then charging you for it, only to have you bring it back in and they say sorry, nothing else we can do.

Quick Reply: silverado 6.0 6l90 swap