Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

PCM interchangeablility

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM interchangeablility

Hey all,

Im using a 2007 Chevy express pcm to run my 4.8/4L80 swapped 06 sierra (drive train is from the van also)but im not using the vans harness. Im using an 06 truck harness. I performed a security relearn with the van pcm to get the truck running, and everything is good except for the cluster keeps displaying battery not charging. The alt is charging 14+ volts while running (checked via muli meter), and the gauge in the truck says the same thing. My question, is this an incompatibility issue with the vans pcm, as they did not have the battery generator module that the trucks have, and must be programmed differently. Will this cause any issues, besides being annoying to read on the cluster constantly. I do have an 06 truck pcm I can use, but I would have to have someone perform a segment swap to it. I hooked up my scanner, but it has not thrown any related codes.

Last edited by lsxponcho; 02-13-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Got the truck running long enough to find out the van pcm wont run the efans, among other things. I sent a truck ecm to be tuned for my segment swap, etc.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:20 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Do you Have the BGCM hooked up on the negative cable? It might just need to have something turned on in the tune

The Van PCM needs to be tuned for the E -fans. There not on because they are not used in that application.

Are you using Drive by Cable or Drive by wire?

If it's Drive by wire the truck PCM will be no issue. But if you go to a Cable set up you will need the Van PCM.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

The bgcm is hooked up. The van was also dbw though. The van did have a different sized maf, and the truck was throwing a code for low maf reading while running the van pcm, and truck maf. I was hoping since the van was 07, the e-fan function may have been active, but such is my luck. All these differences combined, I figured just run the truck pcm (since either would have to be tuned anways). The truck pcm is 2006 4.8 already, just have to segment the 4l80, and turn off the rear O2 sensors, torque management, speed limiter, etc. For the time being at least i can pull it in and out of the garage if need be until the tune comes back.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Save yourself a ton of hassle if you haven't already figured it out.

Hunt down a vin for a 2006 2500hd then reflash your 06 pcm. Everything will work perfectly since it's a 6.0 4L80 already,

Then enable the cooling fans via hpt use all of the fan settings and refrigerant pressure sensor settings from a 06 sierra denali and the fans and hvac will work correctly right out of the box
Old 02-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Save yourself a ton of hassle if you haven't already figured it out.

Hunt down a vin for a 2006 2500hd then reflash your 06 pcm. Everything will work perfectly since it's a 6.0 4L80 already,

Then enable the cooling fans via hpt use all of the fan settings and refrigerant pressure sensor settings from a 06 sierra denali and the fans and hvac will work correctly right out of the box
It doesn't have a 6.0L...just a 4.8L. I also don't have any tuning software (or tuning experience), so I had to send it out. The pcm just arrived back from the tuner, and I will get a chance to install it tonight and see how everything behaves. Fingers crossed!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

PCM came back from the tuner, and truck runs like a charm. No more issues now, and finally took it for its first drive. What a relief!