Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Odometer Reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes a Tech II can change the mileage. However isn't there some work you have to do to swap an 03+ cluster into 99-02? IIRC they aren't plug n play.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aeorozco
its a hit or miss game man, there are shops out there that service the clusters and most will warr. their work, but prices range anywhere from $50 and up on ebay. The only problem is that I have found that many places wont touch the milege beacuase its too much of an exposure for them, Most places will only alter milage on "new" clusters and not "used" ones. I think that I did see a shop online that does offer the milage fix but you have to fill out a milege exception form or something basically stating that your not messing wit the milege bla bla bla.....

How you like ur VW ?

I used to have a '80 Rabbit 2dr that I had all pimped out for my 1st car lol , Convertable top , Man that car was a blast lol
Yea I might just tell my buddy that owns the dealership to come and try his deal and see if it works.

I like it alot my wife drives it everyday. Except the VW dealer in my town sucks *** thats the only thing I don't like. But it handles like a go cart and runs pretty good to. Its all stock I want to chip it and put a turbo back exhaust on it those things pick up the most power and with normally give it about 40 whp and about 75 lbs tq.
Originally Posted by viciousknid
Yes a Tech II can change the mileage. However isn't there some work you have to do to swap an 03+ cluster into 99-02? IIRC they aren't plug n play.
Oh yea I know the clusters are different I wasn't trying to swap those years I was saying that only the 03 up models can have the stepper motors fixed.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Where's the Beef?

gotcha!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

The tech2 won't change the mileage. The mileage can only be programmed on a new cluster or repaired cluster. The mileage is zeroed out from the repair facility and we program mileage and engine hours via TIS. If you drive the thing around the building it will lock you out and won't let the mileage be programmed. Only takes a tenth of a mile to do that.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scooter k
The tech2 won't change the mileage. The mileage can only be programmed on a new cluster or repaired cluster. The mileage is zeroed out from the repair facility and we program mileage and engine hours via TIS. If you drive the thing around the building it will lock you out and won't let the mileage be programmed. Only takes a tenth of a mile to do that.
what is the cost for that ?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Yea so what will you charge to program the cluster that I have that needs the mileage corrected to my original cluster?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Just for those looking to do this. I found who my buddies dealership uses to reprogram mileage. Its a company called Techni-car. The website is techni-car.com and the phone # is 800-886-0022. They charge $42.50 to do it. Which is way cheaper than the guy on ebay who charges $120.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blueflamed03
Is the stepper motors going out, if so, just send yours off to get repairs. Under $80 with lifetime warranty. I used this guy, done and back in 2-3 days.

http://stores.ebay.com/BRIANS-SPEEDOMETER-REPAIR-CENTER
This is who we send our clusters to at work. He does great work and we have yet to have any problems.

Dealers can program clusters but can only go up in mileage.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Launching!

The only cluster's that can be repaired at 03-up the 99-02 trucks can not be fixed. Thats straight from the owner of digital dash solutions.

And according to my buddy who owns a chevy dealership. They can't do any programing of mileage. They send them to Techni-car who I posted above yours.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N20GMC
The only cluster's that can be repaired at 03-up the 99-02 trucks can not be fixed. Thats straight from the owner of digital dash solutions.

And according to my buddy who owns a chevy dealership. They can't do any programing of mileage. They send them to Techni-car who I posted above yours.
if you use Brians posted on the Ebay link, there wont be a need to mod or change the mileage.

Quick Reply: Odometer Reprogramming