Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Odometer Reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer Reprogramming

The cluster on my 01 truck is acting up so I was going to buy a working cluster out of a wrecked truck. But before I buy it I was checking around at dealerships to see how much it was gonna cost to reprogram. Well they say that only 03 and newer trucks can be reprogrammed. Is this right because I see alot of other people doing it.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From other threads on here most dealerships will not reprogram a used cluster to change the mileage. They will only do it on a 0 mileage new cluster. There is a store on Ebay that sales clusters that reprograms them and they also allow you to send them yours to be reprogrammed.

May have to do some searching on here to find the name cuz I don't know it. could even just be a regular place online. Just have to google to see if you can find em.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Cool thanks I know they can do it, just most won't. My other question is can the dealership do it. I have a friend that owns a dealership and he told me that there is nothing he can find that says they can or can't do it. And he told me he would bring the scanner to me and try it if I found out that it was possible to do.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the stepper motors going out, if so, just send yours off to get repairs. Under $80 with lifetime warranty. I used this guy, done and back in 2-3 days.

http://stores.ebay.com/BRIANS-SPEEDOMETER-REPAIR-CENTER
Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Denali_on_26's will do it for $120 shiipped back to you, I am getting ready to send mine into him to have the digital display for the milege fixed since it wont come and and while he is at it thew a lil extra $$ to have him solder in the new blue leds while he has the cluster open

Shoot him a pm and chat w him, cool dude and honestly i would rather give the money to someone on pt.net then a dealer or stranger... dealer would be faster but alot of these people will warr. their work were the dealer wont -

Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Launching!

All of the repairs are for 03 and up. I spoke to him already. He said he could try and fix it but doesn't know.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

dang that sucks..... I know I was having a huge debate with my self, I could of picked up a cluster for $35 .... but from what I understand all of the milege is stored in the cluster so if you swap it out then it will show the milege of the truck it came from. and that cluster was only 78k i think, Im sure my truck has well over 200k.

Some one also told me that the milege you had on your trip when the display goes off, is what the milage will show when it comes back on.... Idk I havent had time to research it at all but I will let you know what happens with Denali on 26's !!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Thanks yea I bought a cluster out of a wrecked truck from a friend. But I havent plugged it in to see what it reads. I found a guy on ebay that says he can reprogram it to the mileage that my original cluster has. He wants $120 which seems way to high. SO I asked him if he can rebuild my 2001 cluster. So we shall see.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

its a hit or miss game man, there are shops out there that service the clusters and most will warr. their work, but prices range anywhere from $50 and up on ebay. The only problem is that I have found that many places wont touch the milege beacuase its too much of an exposure for them, Most places will only alter milage on "new" clusters and not "used" ones. I think that I did see a shop online that does offer the milage fix but you have to fill out a milege exception form or something basically stating that your not messing wit the milege bla bla bla.....

How you like ur VW ?

I used to have a '80 Rabbit 2dr that I had all pimped out for my 1st car lol , Convertable top , Man that car was a blast lol

Quick Reply: Odometer Reprogramming