Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

New vvt cam. Now I'm screwed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New vvt cam. Now I'm screwed.

I just installed a eps vvt cam in my 207 yukon denali. 6.2 6 speed non afm/dod. It sounded great when I fired it the first time. And I had lots of oil pressure. Almost 50 at idle with 5 w 30
I figured while I was changing the cam I would change every gasket and only used factory gaskets and replaced all the bolts with factory replacements except ARP crank bolt and exhaust bolts.

I installed a custom cam, comp phaser limiter kit (the correct one for my phaser), ported and shimmed oil pump and new oring, new hd timing chain and tensioner, new lifters, rockers, and pushrods, I also installed 1 7/8 long tube headers and an off road y pipe that merges to a 3.5 inch exhaust with a flowmaster 40. So I deleted the rear O2 sensors and the cats. Mobil 5w30 synthetic with a bottle of break in lube. Also plugs and wires and paper air filter.

I started it and it roared to life. Huge lope at idle, idle is rough. And a little white smoke and water from the exhaust. And 4 codes which were all related to the rear 02 sensors.

today I decided to drive it to the gas station 3 miles away. Never went above 3k rpm. Really granny like. Every time it stopped after it warmed up, the white smoke would start from the exhaust. And the oil pressure dropped to 20 psi at 600 rpm when hot. On my way home the white smoke got really bad and when I parked I revd it to 2500 to see if the smoke would clear up, which it didnt. It looked like I was seafoaming it. Also I got 2 new codes
p0011 and p0016 which appear to be related to the cam position or maybe the vvt malfunctioning.

my question is, what are the posible causes for the smoke and will the new cam and phaser limiter I installed have caused the new codes or did I screw something up and have to tear it down again

the smoke I think could be oil, residual antifreeze in the engine and exhaust from when I pulled the heads, a blown head gasket, or oil from inside the new headers burning off. But I think it would have cleared up by now if it was anything but the head gasket.

looking for any tips ideas or something to help identify and correct these issues. The drop in oil pressure scares me but I hear 20 psi is still ok. And the 2 cam codes scare me alot. But the smoke is my main concern.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

See other thread....