Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Need help! Truck won't run!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help! Truck won't run!

Desperately need help. I have 11k miles on the combo in my signature. 1 day truck starts acting like I've gotten a tank of bad gas, spitting and sputtering when taking off. Dumped in some gas treatment and changed the fuel filter which didn't look bad at all. Filled up at Shell, dumped in more gas treatment with no change. Checked codes, had codes for mass air sensor and crank sensor. Replaced them with no change in symptoms. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail, showed 52 lbs at idle and would jump up with throttle. On next tank of Shell gas and Lucas gas treatment I check codes and have another one for crank sensor. Replaced sensor a second time and truck won't start at all. Did crank sensor relearn with no help. Decided maybe fuel pressure gauge was bad so put in Racetronix fuel pump module and hot wire kit. Replaced crank sensor a 3rd time with a GM crank sensor and replaced the connector as well even though there was no apparent damage. Truck would then start and run for about 10 seconds before dying. When you try to restart it may or may not fire but if it does will immediately die. Tried running all new grounds out of 0 gauge cable. No change. Buddy brought over Snap On scanner and nothing out of the ordinary shows up. AARRRGGGHHH! I'm on the verge of burning it! Please help!
Old 01-31-2016, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like a security issue of some sort.... Unless tgeres an issue with the reluctor on the crank....
Old 01-31-2016, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Unhappy

Security light flashes once on initial start up and that's it. Relucter wheel is one of the very bad thoughts dancing around in the back of my mind.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Be nice if you had access to an oscilliscope, so you can see what crank sensor is doing...
Old 01-31-2016, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replies Wolftruck. I'm sending truck tomorrow to the tranny shop where my buddy that built the trans and rear end. Trying to get more ideas to try because being without my baby is driving me nuts!
Old 01-31-2016, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

How well i know mine was in my buddys garage in pieces for almost 2 years.... And now i have to put another radiator in it...
Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 PM
Launching!

It's a never ending cycle unfortunately, at least mine is. But the smile on my face when I tromp it is so worth the headaches.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
How well i know mine was in my buddys garage in pieces for almost 2 years.... And now i have to put another radiator in it...
What is wrong with your rad? The endcaps?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
What is wrong with your rad? The endcaps?
Trans cooler leaking, looks like i have trans fluid in my coolant but no chocolate shake in oil pan or strawberry shake in trans.... And lost heat and acting like the radiator is clogged, no heat in hoses and cold air coming from fans.....at least i have a lifetime warranty on most of ny cooling system, save the tstat!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Put a borescope in the crank sensor hole and inspect the reluctor wheel.

Quick Reply: Need help! Truck won't run!