Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Looking for some help with my tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some help with my tune

Hey guys. Looking to get a little help with some issues I'm having with my tune.

Before I start, I'd like to say that this is a tune from a professional tuner, although done via email, it's just getting slightly hectic data logging, sending it away, waiting up to a week, getting a new tune, and then doing it all over. No offense meant to the company that did the tuning, would just prefer to speed the process up a bit.

Now on to the truck.. it's a 2003 Silverado, 5.3/4L60e. It has an AiRaid MIT, LPP long tubes/ORY, BTR Stage 3 (.218/.224* .553 lift 113+3LSA), LS6 springs, Circle D 26-2800 stall in a stock (jasper) trans for now, since my Performabuilt LVL2 blew for the 4th time. 4.88 gears on 37" tires.

I've had several tunes for the truck, with the last one being for the cam/stall/gears being done roughly a month ago. The truck runs fine and all, but just having some idle quality issues, along with some random surging/idle hunting here and there. It also seems (by the smell) to be excessively rich at idle.. which I know partially comes from being catless. I've gone back and forth with the tuner a few times, with datalogs, and while it seems to be running well.. still just these few small quirks. I would love to get the idle squared away, along with the small stumbling issues. The cam has a nice lope when cold, but that seemingly goes away once its warm.. and if possible would like to have a slightly more aggressive warm idle if possible.

I live in NE Pennsylvania and fear some of the issues may get exaggerated by the cold weather moving in. I was hoping someone with more experience than I could look through the tune, and my last datalog, and see if anything jumps out at them. I am reading/researching and trying to get to the point where I can tune this thing myself, but would like to have a second set of eyes, and someone who can explain what changes need to be made, and why.

Oh and also, when I start driving without letting the truck warm up a bit, I'll sporadically get a p0446 code for the vent solenoid.. even though it's brand new. Not sure if that could also be tune related or not.

Appreciate any and all help.
-Casey
Attached Files
Old 11-13-2016, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

If you have any intake leak, leak from a fitting in the air intake, or hose leak that is going to play with you for sure. If you have any vacuum caps make sure they aren't leaking as well.

If the vehicle idles fine and then is kind of crappy as it warms up look more at the desired airflow tables.

if it bats around too much at idle look at the direct airflow correction and spark under/over speed correction.

Don't trust any funny smell if you are running catless. The car will smell even if it is spot on.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
If you have any intake leak, leak from a fitting in the air intake, or hose leak that is going to play with you for sure. If you have any vacuum caps make sure they aren't leaking as well.

If the vehicle idles fine and then is kind of crappy as it warms up look more at the desired airflow tables.

if it bats around too much at idle look at the direct airflow correction and spark under/over speed correction.

Don't trust any funny smell if you are running catless. The car will smell even if it is spot on.
I knew there would be some smell being catless. At times it just seems a little much.

As far as the desired airflow.. I'd like to get it on point, but like I said, still in the learning stages and was hoping some of the more experienced guys could point me in the right direction as far as what to look for/change.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Or if anyone knows of a good EFI Live specific idle tuning guide, that would be awesome too..
Old 11-14-2016, 01:29 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

If you had HPTuners I would be glad to help you tune it over email (I usually have an update sent in a couple hours, or at least by the end of the day), but I dont have EFILive so I wont be much help directly.

The tuning guides are generally pretty universal so one written for hpt will still apply to efi.

To get desired airflow right, its best to start from completely cold and let it warm up. There are 4 mods: Park/AC on, Park/AC OFF, Gear/AC ON, and Gear/AC Off. The AC on usually just adds a few g/s worth, but letting it warm up in park (dont touch anything, just let it idle) then doing the same thing just in gear (keep your foot on the brake) is usually enough. You want to log STIT (short term idle trims) and plot it on the base running airflow table. That is your correction you need for the airflow table. Off idle transitions most of the time are throttle cracker and follower settings.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Atomic
If you had HPTuners I would be glad to help you tune it over email (I usually have an update sent in a couple hours, or at least by the end of the day), but I dont have EFILive so I wont be much help directly.

The tuning guides are generally pretty universal so one written for hpt will still apply to efi.

To get desired airflow right, its best to start from completely cold and let it warm up. There are 4 mods: Park/AC on, Park/AC OFF, Gear/AC ON, and Gear/AC Off. The AC on usually just adds a few g/s worth, but letting it warm up in park (dont touch anything, just let it idle) then doing the same thing just in gear (keep your foot on the brake) is usually enough. You want to log STIT (short term idle trims) and plot it on the base running airflow table. That is your correction you need for the airflow table. Off idle transitions most of the time are throttle cracker and follower settings.
I have the EFI Live software on my laptop, and a buddy has the Flashscan V2 that I have access to. I'm going to dive into trying to square things away myself. I've got an AEM 30-0300 arriving Wednesday that I'm going to install in the truck and grab the V2 and start going through the motions of making sure my VE is tuned as close as I can get it, and get the idle how I want it.

I was hoping I'd hear from you or one of the more experienced members... maybe if I have any questions or need advice I can shoot you a PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Sure here is a start:

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...(in-single-log)

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...ul-Info-Inside

Idle Tuning with a Cammed Engine - GM Truck Central

Also look up the RAFIG RAFIPN processes.

I think a lot of people tend to veer away from throwing out discrete advice because there is no one set of numbers that wins every game. I could tell you to try raising the desired airflow to 11 g/s and soften up the direct airflow correction especially on the HIGH columns to much lower values. But there is no guarantees any of that will fix it and maybe will make it worse.

Maybe read the tutorials and make some corrections to the following and see if it gets better:
Idle Overspeed Error
Idle Underspeed Error
Direct Airflow Correction
Parameters under learning of idle
desired airflow under general of idle
Old 11-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Sure here is a start:

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...(in-single-log)

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...ul-Info-Inside

Idle Tuning with a Cammed Engine - GM Truck Central

Also look up the RAFIG RAFIPN processes.

I think a lot of people tend to veer away from throwing out discrete advice because there is no one set of numbers that wins every game. I could tell you to try raising the desired airflow to 11 g/s and soften up the direct airflow correction especially on the HIGH columns to much lower values. But there is no guarantees any of that will fix it and maybe will make it worse.

Maybe read the tutorials and make some corrections to the following and see if it gets better:
Idle Overspeed Error
Idle Underspeed Error
Direct Airflow Correction
Parameters under learning of idle
desired airflow under general of idle
I've been spending some on here, efilive forum, ls1tech etc etc reading and trying to learn as much as I can to start doing this myself. Going through the stickys, pdf's, etc. Hopefully I can get it figured out.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Teching In

So I purchased an AEM 30-0300 wideband, installed it in the truck, and it's working flawlessly as itself.

The problem I'm having, is being new to using EFI Live, and trying to get the correct calc.PID set up in order to run the AEM WB correctly in analog format. There are pre existing PID's for just about all widebands except the AEM, and I've found created calc.pids for other models of AEM, but not the 30-0300...
Old 11-17-2016, 08:54 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Create a custom one if you know the output equation.