Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Looking into buying HP Tuners

Old 08-26-2016, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking into buying HP Tuners

I've been thinking about tuning my truck for a while now. At first my plan was to buy a Diablo Intune. I did a little research and then thought I wanted to go with a mail order tune. I don't want a generic canned tune from a Diablo/Superchip so that's out. The mail order tune seems like a decent option, but I eventually would like to do some more serious stuff to this truck and that could be a pain.

Right now I think I'd rather spend the few extra dollars and get HP Tuners. Is my thinking right that it will be worth it in the long run? My goal is to eventually have an LQ4/4L80E.

In the mean time, can an average guy get a decent enough tune on a mostly stock truck to feel a difference? Long tubes are coming soon, and I'll most likely throw a cam in the 4.8L until I can save for and piece together stuff for a swap. I just don't want to spend $300 on a Diablo now, and then it be pretty useless later. Am I missing something before I pull the trigger? I should also add that I am pretty computer savvy, and also have a pretty good understanding of what goes on inside of an engine but I don't have any tuning experience. I do enjoy reading about it and am trying to soak up as much as I can.

Every time I think I want to do something, I think how later on it might be a waste. It seems like anything you want to do to your truck might not fit into the bigger plan later on. It's like camming my 4.8 when I ultimately want an LQ4 but I guess it's a sickness, lol.

Thanks,
Joey
Old 08-26-2016, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Go for it, HP Tuners was one of the best things I've ever bought.

Learning on stock engines is the best way to learn. I started with a 3800 in my grand prix and went onto a GEN 3 5.3 and now a few GEN 4 5.3's, with each having there own different ways of tuning. Being that they all were stock starting out with it made it much easier to learn them and understand what each change can do.

You will for sure be able to make a stock engine/trans perform better with just a tune. They are held back from the factory like anything because it's a mass produced vehicle that everyone can drive. You won't gain serious power being stock but changing how it brings power in or how it shifts can be done to make it suit your driving style.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:17 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

A stock vehicle is great to learn on, just be prepared, there is a huge learning curve when you first get started. Make small changes and don't change anything you don't know what it does. The hpt forums are also very useful.
The following users liked this post:
infam0us1 (04-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2016, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys I'm gonna go for it.