Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

How secure is the VATS? or should i just get RFID?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How secure is the VATS? or should i just get RFID?

Im doing a transplant to 70 chevy and i purchased a complete 2000 silverado 2500hd

from my understanding the only way to start a car with VATS is with the right cut key. This didnt come with the chip but based on what ive read the cylinder "reads" if its the correct cut before it can even start.
So i would need cylinder, bcm and related wiring(i havent seach which i need yet) im also thinking of getting t he little security light from the dash and putting it in mine.

BUT How secure is this as an anti theft/first line of anti theft?
Trying to see if its worth the trouble.
I think based on what ive read the only way the bcm can send that unique signal is if the theft somehow figure out a way to send the correct resistance.(since this is a 70 chevy i would think the theft would be caught off guard and not be "prepared"?)

if its not too secure then i was thinking an RFID is a good investment. I was thinking adding this and tucking it way up in the dash out of reach so they cant even "cut and jump it"
Smartkey RFID Car Alarm System With Push Button Start & Touch Keyless Go System | eBay

on a side note the key cylinder is not on the steering wheel so it will no longer act as a steering lock.
If i were to add the vats the key cylinder would just be on the dash also. this is why i was thinking push botton rfid is a good option

what do you guys think?
Old 11-02-2016, 12:55 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All that's needed to start a 2000 is a screwdriver. My 2004 is on a government list of vehicles that must have a specific immobilizer installed in order to be registered if your residence is in the Winnipeg area. It was at the point where joy riding kids were stealing dozens of vehicles a day.

Of course our government is also the sole vehicle insurer in Manitoba by law. The unit must be spliced into 3 circuits such as PCM power, cranking and fuel pump. All wiring is black and routing must vary from one installation to the next. It's all fine until the unit fails.

Last edited by DrX; 11-02-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

really I was under impression that they came with vats since i was reading into making the harness standalone and found that the vats needs to be flashed out of the pcm.

so the 2000 models doesnt have vats? meaning no "tuning out needed?"
Old 11-02-2016, 03:51 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Oh there is a Passlock system to amuse the vehicle owners.

First one is the hard way:

My wife stopped into my mom's place just to drop something off...parked all the way up in the driveway into the backyard. Ran in for 2 minutes. Came out to find the column cover and key bezel of her Trailblazer ripped off. 10 more seconds and they would have been gone.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i think i would move to an area that car theft isnt as big of a problem
Old 11-02-2016, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

well thats sucks lol i guess RFID it is then.

You cant really avoid theft trendsetter.
You can move to the safest location and you go to the movies one time or some place random and boom.

personally i havent had a run in thank god but i always like to have a good anti theft just incase. I usually add a fuel cut off thats hidden but i was looking more into electronic cut off instead of manual.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:11 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS325ci
well thats sucks lol i guess RFID it is then.

You cant really avoid theft trendsetter.
You can move to the safest location and you go to the movies one time or some place random and boom.

personally i havent had a run in thank god but i always like to have a good anti theft just incase. I usually add a fuel cut off thats hidden but i was looking more into electronic cut off instead of manual.
You will still need to disable it in the tune, but no sense bothering to keep the factory ignition switch.

I just wired in a L76/6L80E swap in a 69 Camaro. I kept the BCM for other reasons, but I disabled VATS and used the original 69 ignition switch.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

so is vats enabled in those videos?
if so....whats the point of it?
Old 11-03-2016, 08:33 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
so is vats enabled in those videos?
if so....whats the point of it?
Yes. Pre 07 was useless. No special key is required. You just have to be able to turn the cylinder.

From Description and Operation:

The design of the Passlock™ system is to prevent theft even if the various theft deterrent parts change. The parts that can no longer be changed without the possibility of going into a tamper mode are:
  • The Passlock™ sensor
  • The BCM
  • The VCM/PCM
If you replace any of these parts the vehicle may start and stall for 10 minutes. This is the long tamper mode. If this occurs, the system must go through a long tamper mode cycle. During this time the SECURITY telltale will be flashing for the full 10 minutes and the DTC B3031 will be set. The BCM and the VCM/PCM require the full 10 minutes in order to complete a learn cycle. The ignition switch must remain in the RUN position until the SECURITY telltale stops flashing. You will need to repeat the cycle if the ignition switch does not remain in the RUN position. When replacing any of the above parts it is recommended to perform the Programming Theft Deterrent System Components procedure.

The design of the Passlock™ system is to prevent the vehicle operation if the proper ignition key is not used in order to start the vehicle. The mechanical key, in normal operation, will turn the ignition lock cylinder. The Passlock™ sensor monitoring the position of the lock cylinder will relay the Passlock™ data to the body control module (BCM). The BCM will determine the validity of the Passlock™ data. The BCM will send a fuel continue password to the vehicle/powertrain control module (VCM/PCM). When the VCM/PCM receives the correct password the VCM/PCM allows the fuel injectors to operate normally. The Passlock™ system requires the VCM/PCM and the BCM to communicate the various functions in order to operate. These functions transmit over the class 2 serial data line. For an explanation of the class 2 serial data description and operation, refer to Data Link Communications Description and Operation in Data Link Communications.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Wow. I almost want to try this on mine just to seehow easy it is lol