Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

How to pick out a bad tune/tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 05:05 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How to pick out a bad tune/tuning?

I've been around for a while I've been using Nelson! He has done great things for my truck For when it was NA. time has went on games have changed - I'm now forced induction- it's past the point of mail order tune so I picked up EFI live and started learning.

Reading one thread after another I figured I'd ask the question what is the most common thing to pick out a good tune or what tuners use to cut corners to make a quick buck?

I've hooked up to a couple friends trucks with 5.3 and 6.0 and some only have minor spark adjustment - maybe MAF adjusted - shift points

Nothing concerning e10 fuel adjustments in afr- because around here it seems like every other gas station has e10

Just curious of the input this might have
Old 10-20-2016, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I don't even bother changing the stoich for E10 fuel because it varies from 3-8% E content on a regular basis. 14.68 works just fine for a stoich with ~E10 fuel and no real alcohol sensor.

Depending on what is done to the vehicle and what the person is trying to achive it can be somewhat easy to see if a tune is bad or very far off. Watching the data logs/scans can give away big problems if you have an idea of what you are looking for.

It's pretty common to find tunes that just rape the PE table instead of tuning the VE/MAF correctly, or they disable all fuel trims because they can't tune it correctly. Or another big thing to find is someone that just disables the VE altogether and runs only MAF because they don't wish to take the time to tune both.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:27 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by FFDP
I don't even bother changing the stoich for E10 fuel because it varies from 3-8% E content on a regular basis. 14.68 works just fine for a stoich with ~E10 fuel and no real alcohol sensor.

Depending on what is done to the vehicle and what the person is trying to achive it can be somewhat easy to see if a tune is bad or very far off. Watching the data logs/scans can give away big problems if you have an idea of what you are looking for.

It's pretty common to find tunes that just rape the PE table instead of tuning the VE/MAF correctly, or they disable all fuel trims because they can't tune it correctly. Or another big thing to find is someone that just disables the VE altogether and runs only MAF because they don't wish to take the time to tune both.
Interesting, I've come across one tune that had stoich set at 14.12(ish) I was perplexed and the owner of the vehicle said it was because of the e10 that's why I brought that up.

Couple of the guys of had small cams -long tube headers- cold air induction - couple stockers cams - with just cold air induction with long tubes

Nothing forced induction I've hooked up to.

I'm in the process of tuning my buddies 6.0 with the TSP 228 cam- dialing in the VE is interesting and makes sense to do! It makes me want to do it to my stock 05 crewcab

I cannot believe some actually shut VE completely off. ANd modifying PE only
Old 10-20-2016, 07:08 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
Reading one thread after another I figured I'd ask the question what is the most common thing to pick out a good tune or what tuners use to cut corners to make a quick buck?
Talking to someone for about 60 seconds should tell you all you need to know.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
This couldn't be more true!

Anyway, it's very rewarding to figure out how to successfully tune your own rig and you will discover that these PCMs are actually quite forgiving and people can cut a lot of corners to obtain a strong feeling and "safe" tune without actually doing it right. I looked at a lot of tunes for reference while getting HPTuners figured out and there are some sketchy looking files out there from people who supposedly know what they're doing and charge people a lot of money for their services.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:17 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Im curious how you would turn the VE table off...
Old 10-22-2016, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Im curious how you would turn the VE table off...
Force it to run maf 100% of the time. There isn't a setting per say but that's the only way to do it.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:47 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I could see that- only reason starting this is just to see what other people have came across compared to what I have noticed or picked up.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

You could force it to run 100% MAF but there is a small catch, the VE or VVE is still used for transient fueling no matter what "mode" you have it set in.

I see it all the time where a boosted vehicle has the dynamic airflow set to sub 500rpm disable and they only tune the MAF. The VE or VVE will still be all stock still because they don't take the time to tune it. Some don't even run 2 BAR map sensors either because they think just running the MAF is the "best" way.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:57 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by DR132
This couldn't be more true!

Anyway, it's very rewarding to figure out how to successfully tune your own rig and you will discover that these PCMs are actually quite forgiving and people can cut a lot of corners to obtain a strong feeling and "safe" tune without actually doing it right. I looked at a lot of tunes for reference while getting HPTuners figured out and there are some sketchy looking files out there from people who supposedly know what they're doing and charge people a lot of money for their services.
That's what I've been doing using them as reference (tune files) just trying to connect the right dots. To be self taught I want to learn right- and wrong