Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Holley Dominator ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:36 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Holley Dominator ECU?

Anyone running this system? Any shortcomings or things you would like it to do that it doesn't.

Seems a little more user friendly and better suited for street/strip than some others like MS3-Pro, BS3, KAM, FuelTech. EZ-EFI(FAST) looks like it requires a separate box to run the coils??

KAM has more features like per cylinder WO2 closed loop and built in traction control. Both offer dual DBW and 80E trans control. KAM looks like it would be more work setting up all your sensors and doesn't appear to have much resolution in the tables...which you probably don't need for racing.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the factory ECU is great for controlling a factory engine, and can be "worked-around" to control a modified "race" engine.

an aftermarket, race oriented, ECU is designed to do exactly what youre doing with it. No making stuff work or working around certain parameters to get your desired result.

the holley is SUPER user friendly and will easily do everything you could need it to do. The holley can also be set up do have individual cylinder monitoring and traction control, davis makes a plug n play module for the holley that works great.

for anyone thats seriously modding their vehicle and has the budget i cant reccomend the holley enough
Old 08-26-2015, 09:49 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

That's exactly why I am looking at aftermarket systems. Too many work arounds with a stock ECU and bumping into hidden tables. Easier to swap systems than getting into hex editing and still having a system with limitations.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

to many ppl want to jump to a standalone without truly understanding a stock pcm. to state with the stock pcm you have to work around things, i wouldnt go that far into saying that. the fastest silverado currently runs a stock pcm, quite a few 1200 rwhp setups with stock pcms.

a holley and under 1000 rwhp doesnt go together imho and is a way for ppl to spend money on things that isnt needed. ppl state holley has its safetys, well guess what the stock pcm has its own and if you can use them youll keep a motor plenty safe

as for limitations, the timing map is limited i agree and so is the kpa but how many ppl are running 30+ psi but thats when its time to upgrade
Old 08-26-2015, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

understanding a stock pcm is, for most people, a whole lot more difficult than using a much more user friendly after market setup.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:19 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

correct to many ppl swap to the holley as they dont understand the ins and outs of the stock pcm...this is why every person with a JY sloppy build has holley

stock pcm is very powerful and can do the job of the OP's build
Old 08-26-2015, 01:07 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Not saying it can't be done with a stock ECU because I have been making a stock ECU work for 10 years. This includes scaling all air mass related tables by 50% to get around the 512 g/s limit and needing more if I want to shift above 6000 RPM. Disabling ETC rev limiting to prevent my throttles closing momentarily when the ECU sees RPM increasing at a high rate. Requiring a hex hack to prevent a forced 1-2 upshift(this can now be done with HPT). I can't use LS2 knock sensors. And unanswered questions as to how some tables are used in ECU calculations.

Then there are some additional features available on aftermarket systems like per cylinder fuel/spark trimming(fixed values) or actual per cylinder closed loop on some, per cylinder knock control, "self tuning", traction control, extended tables, additional useful tables, additional inputs/outputs.

Tuning stock ECUs with tuning suites, you don't really discover the quirks/limitations until after you have used them for a while. That is why I am asking if anyone has real experience with the aftermarket systems. I expect that they will have some quirks of their own.

Last edited by DrX; 08-26-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

in my dealings with the holley im yet to find any serious down sides. it simply does what you tell it to do. or if you tell it to do something it shouldnt, the safety parameters keep you from going too wrong!

the more i play with the holley, the more impressed i become with it. i still am finding what all it can do and have barely scratched the surface of its cappabilities
Old 08-26-2015, 05:14 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sprayedenali
in my dealings with the holley im yet to find any serious down sides. it simply does what you tell it to do. or if you tell it to do something it shouldnt, the safety parameters keep you from going too wrong!

the more i play with the holley, the more impressed i become with it. i still am finding what all it can do and have barely scratched the surface of its cappabilities
Can it log knock by cylinder?
Old 08-26-2015, 05:25 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

knock sensors? what are those things

Quick Reply: Holley Dominator ECU?