Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Body Control Module.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Body Control Module.........

Hey guys-
over here in Chicago for a memorial. Pick up my nephew at school and suddenly passenger power window doesn't work, heated passenger seat doesn't work now either. Remote door lock doesn't work. I'm bankin' on the passenger side body control module, does this sound tight and is there a way to test it? If it is the BCM doesn't it need to be programmed, as I've seen them available online- last thing I wanna do is go to the stealer. Could it be anything else, maybe? like a broken wire to the door.
Other than that truck runs great at this elevation- feels like I've picked up like 80hp coming down from 7,000ft, runs like a scalded cat, even with 3.42 ring and pinions.............
Old 11-12-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wiring harness in the hinge area on the passenger side is probably broken. You only have one BCM and it's under the steering column. The lock is the only thing in the door attached to the BCM, the window and heated seat have their own switches independently.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The passenger door module contains the switch's and controls the heated seats it is not a BCM. All of the functions you describe as absent are problem related to the passenger door module. The truck only has one BCM. Yes if the door module is replaced it must be flashed to the VIN of your vehicle to ensure all of the options your truck is equipped with function correctly after completion.

Outside of pulling the door panel to check the connections on it there is not much troubleshooting you can do in your driveway. You really need a scanner to establish comm with the module to do full diagnostics. But as mentioned above I have had wires break in the jamb area also causing this problem. But you really need a scanner short of throwing parts at it.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys- I'll check all this out when I get back home. BTW, where is the passenger door module located? Scanner- is this something Auto Zone would be able to see...................
Old 11-14-2014, 04:33 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 Sierra
Thanks guys- I'll check all this out when I get back home. BTW, where is the passenger door module located? Scanner- is this something Auto Zone would be able to see...................
No, the Auto Zone scanner cannot do what you need. You need a device with 2 way communication, like a Tech 2 or OTC Genesys.

The door lock/window switch assembly is the module. Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Hold on what year is your truck. If it's 2002 back it does not use a passenger door module it has real switchs. Then it's time for a test and troubleshooting if nothing in the right door is working.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, thought it was in my sig. It's a 2006 GMC Sierra, I know- I need to change my name. Still in Chicago, but the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to conclude it's the pass module as not only the door functions do not work, but the heated seat as well as the remote door lock functions. But I'm gonna look at the wires in the jamb first thing when get back home, I have a feeling deep deep down that a cut or severed wire could cause all this......................

Last edited by Mark Johnson; 11-15-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:13 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, a damaged wire can also cause your problems. Look at the harness under the seat. If it's all okay, then check the harness in the door jamb boot. If that's all okay, it is likely the module.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks- good to know that a wire can cause these symptoms as I've had the door hanging by the wires when I raised the door a bit too high when replacing the pins and had no help I feel better already..................
Old 11-21-2014, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Whats the word vern.

Quick Reply: Body Control Module.........