Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Cleaned MAF, ping went away...for a day

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

TPS, IAC, o2 fronts and rears, ECT, timing, and possibly TCC lockup

Last edited by MrHorsepowerLSx; 03-01-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx
TPS, IAC, o2 fronts and rears, ECT, timing, and possibly TCC lockup
Add stft and ltft
Old 03-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a very similar issue with my 01 Silverado. What i've done is replaced all 4 02 sensors, new fuel filter and fuel system cleaner and still get a check engine light and that ping you speak of at identical load or speeds. I have not tried to clean my MAF, that will be my next move. I am planning on getting the truck tuned after I get long tube headers and exhaust and have them eliminate the rear 02. Hoping that fixes that darn code that comes up for miss fire in bank 2.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by gammey4
Add stft and ltft
Good call! I forgot about those little fellas

I was on the road when I answered that post the first time, and to be clear by timing I meant knock retard..... well you should watch both actually
Old 03-03-2017, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S14serge
I've had a very similar issue with my 01 Silverado. What i've done is replaced all 4 02 sensors, new fuel filter and fuel system cleaner and still get a check engine light and that ping you speak of at identical load or speeds. I have not tried to clean my MAF, that will be my next move. I am planning on getting the truck tuned after I get long tube headers and exhaust and have them eliminate the rear 02. Hoping that fixes that darn code that comes up for miss fire in bank 2.
Make sure your EGR is operable! What is your eengine trouble code? It made a big difference when I got mine working.

On a separate note, I wonder if I have a carbon problem?

Or maybe a vacuum leak?

This morning just for kicks I disconnected the vacuum line to my fuel pressure regulator and drive to work. I left the little vacuum line unplugged though. Just that little vacuum leak made it ping significantly worse! Pulled over, connected it, and it went back to its "normal" amount of ping.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:53 AM
Teching In

I have a 2001 5.3 z71 with 377,000 on it. I was having the same pinging issues no matter what I tried. Had black bear tune the truck. He told me my mass airflow sensor was off by around 30% and I needed to replace it. He got the mass airflow sensor that was currently in the truck within 10% of where it needed to be for the time being, adjusted the timing and fuel to where it should be, since then I haven't heard a ping. Also with that many miles I thought the engine was just tired and lacking power. After the tune it felt like he took to 300,000 miles of the engine, truck runs much smoother and more powerful, the transmission shifts better. A couple hundred bucks for s custom tune was worth every penny, and a lot cheaper then just throwing parts at a problem. My two cents
Old 11-21-2020, 05:27 PM

Default !!!!!!!!!!!!!you identified your problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by lucas287
Make sure your EGR is operable! What is your eengine trouble code? It made a big difference when I got mine working.

On a separate note, I wonder if I have a carbon problem?

Or maybe a vacuum leak?

This morning just for kicks I disconnected the vacuum line to my fuel pressure regulator and drive to work. I left the little vacuum line unplugged though. Just that little vacuum leak made it ping significantly worse! Pulled over, connected it, and it went back to its "normal" amount of ping.

Ok so when u un hooked the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and it pinged WORSE.........you hooked up vacuum lines when back to "NORMAL" ping..... I would have to say that it a FUEL PRESSURE ISSUE......? right????? Wow I made a profile on this site just to say this..... 😆 hi guys
My motor and me Mr.
Jesus justin
Old 11-21-2020, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

You made an account to bump a dead thread made by a user who hasn't been on in 2yrs. Probably drives a Subaru by this point too

cool
Old 11-21-2020, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by arthursc2
You made an account to bump a dead thread made by a user who hasn't been on in 2yrs. Probably drives a Subaru by this point tool
well, at least he fixed the ping
Old 01-11-2021, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
You made an account to bump a dead thread made by a user who hasn't been on in 2yrs. Probably drives a Subaru by this point too

cool
hey now - I'm offended! It has been a long time since I've been here. so long that I couldn't even recover my account. but anyways, definitely not driving a Subaru

'16 Silverado High Country L86/8L90 4x4

A considerable upgrade over my '00 with the 4.8 - which I still have BTW. 315,000 miles and going.
The following users liked this post:
arthursc2 (01-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Cleaned MAF, ping went away...for a day