Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Cleaned MAF, ping went away...for a day

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OTE=Old Buzzard;5310109]^^^^^^^^^^
2X is dead on![/QUOTE]

I dont think I'll be ditching my k&n. However, is it advisable to NOT oil the filter? Or just very lightly oil?

I have a new Delphi maf coming in today. I also replaced the o2 sensors last week and it seemed to make a difference! I cannot verify that it cured the ping alone because I'm still running a blend higher than 87 octance.

I'll post an update later.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Installed the new (reman) MAF sensor... and it ran the same, if not worse. Took it for a highway run and the ping is still prevalent. Do i need to reset the computer or should it have corrected without disconnecting the battery?
Old 09-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

First of all Reman's are usually junk.

Second off without some type of live data, You're just going to keep throwing parts at it.

Have you checked and verified fuel pressure yet?

Have tried with just a paper filter in there?

Have you ran any fuel injection cleaner through the fuel system?
Old 02-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Teching In

18-month update.

I still have not gotten any live data.

I have not verified fuel pressure either.

here is what I have done:

I threw the K&N in the trash, cleaned the MAF, and have been running a paper filter.

I had a SES light on for years. It was an EGR code. I could never get it to go away, so for years I ignored it with no issues.

I thought that the lack of EGR was possibly creating ping, so I dove into this issue. after several replacements of the valve itself, I realized the plug harness was bad. I replaced it - bam - problem solved. the SES light went off and the truck drove significantly better! Ping was nearly gone! only days later it mysteriously returned. so I went back to running 93 octane. I have been driving like this for a year now.

No SES lights - EVER - not even intermittent.

I tried a tank of 87 a month ago and immediately it pinged like crazy.

I then remembered that when I replaced the intake gaskets that I thoroughly washed the runners of my intake to get all the oil off of them. Well, what didn't I do?? I didn't remove the MAP sensor before doing that! I pulled it the other day and it looked horrible! It was plugged with oil and crud, and the gasket was torn right covering the orifice. So, I replaced it! I reset the PCM and went on my way. The truck drove different too. A lot smoother. BUT the ping remains.

I then purchased a new MAF from the parts store thinking mine is failing within spec - just not throwing a code. Installed it and it literally ran the same! not a bit different. maybe even worse. thankfully I was able to return it.

Similar to my issue with the EGR, I will now be replacing the MAF harness plug.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
First of all Reman's are usually junk.

Second off without some type of live data, You're just going to keep throwing parts at it.

Have you checked and verified fuel pressure yet?

Have tried with just a paper filter in there?

Have you ran any fuel injection cleaner through the fuel system?
^^^^^
These are solid trouble shooting answers right here!!!
Take Fast bricks advice, get a fuel pressure gauge and check the pumps pressure, and find anyone that has a scanner capable of live stream, or hook up multi meter leads to the O2 sensors and check the voltage swings. Throwing parts at it is not only a waste of time and money, it is added aggravation.

Also what did you gap the plugs at?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback!

I've run lots of fuel system cleaners over the last 20k miles! Even did a piston soak. Never any true results.

I'm running TR5's, which I think are gapped at .055". I've still got some TR6's that I can put back in though.

honestly I have dismissed all fuel pressure/pump related suggestions because I have no other symptoms. No hard starting, no stalling, stumbling, etc. Power seems good in the mid-upper range too. Is it possible for this to be the problem and my ONLY symptom is low rpm pinging?
Old 03-01-2017, 06:30 AM
Staging Lane

55 is way too much gap. You can rent a fuel pressure tester at any parts store. It wouldn't take any time at all to actually check it. Quit throwing parts at it until you can actually see what's going on. Even most cheap handheld scanners can show your fuel trims. Is it using any oil? What did the plugs look like? Post a pic of them.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Even tho you have dismissed the fuel pressure check, you still need to be check the pressure anyways. Not just guess and assume it's "ok". You will also be more likely to have other members chime in if you take their helpful suggestions and not just brush them to the side. You can also rent tools from most auto parts store for free or pay a small fee or deposit. Just my .02 and trying to help

And about the plug gap I think GM had a TSB on the plug gap, it should be .035" IIRC
Old 03-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx
Even tho you have dismissed the fuel pressure check, you still need to be check the pressure anyways. Not just guess and assume it's "ok". You will also be more likely to have other members chime in if you take their helpful suggestions and not just brush them to the side. You can also rent tools from most auto parts store for free or pay a small fee or deposit. Just my .02 and trying to help

And about the plug gap I think GM had a TSB on the plug gap, it should be .035" IIRC
Please don't misinterpret what I was saying. I much appreciate the advice. Fuel pressure test will be my next move - I will likely just rent one from AutoZone. From the several sources I have cross referenced I will need to do several tests. First, on a cold motor, key on, engine off, I will take that reading and verify it holds pressure. Then, I will take an idle reading. Then, I will tape the gauge to my windshield and do an under-load test.

I will need to pull a plug to verify, but your mention of the TSB reminds me now that I am almost positive that is the plug gap I am running.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Another update. I will do a fuel pressure test this weekend.

I just bought an OBD-II Bluetooth plug, and the Torque Pro app. I will mess around with it tonight.

What parameters should I log that would help me diagnose this issue??

Quick Reply: Cleaned MAF, ping went away...for a day