Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Calling all battery relocation guys!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Calling all battery relocation guys!

Okay so I'm in the process of relocating my battery to the back, I understand it's fairly straight forward but I'm having one hiccup. The GBCM (generator battery control module). What did you do with yours?? I did some research and it landed me in LS1tech with a thread that Blown06 started concerning the same topic but unfortunately he went to a stand alone for a 411 pcm but found with the stock wiring and the GBCM unplugged the truck still supplied a voltage reading to the dash. The main concern being are there any long term effects, most likely not but I don't want to find out... The general consensus seems to be delete it and let the tuner deal with the DTCs... Any other recommendations???
Old 01-05-2017, 11:57 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Get rid of it and convert to a 1 wire alternator. That one wire being off the charge lug back to the master cut off switch in the back. Some people think 1 wire is 1 wire out of the plug and thats not right. Zero wires out of the alternator.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
Get rid of it and convert to a 1 wire alternator. That one wire being off the charge lug back to the master cut off switch in the back. Some people think 1 wire is 1 wire out of the plug and thats not right. Zero wires out of the alternator.
I should've also mentioned I'm using an ls1 alternator out of an 02 camaro. Originally I believe that the early ls1 alternators were 1 wire but I'm not sure about the later year aftermarket ones, I know I had a pigtail made but I believe it's two wire. Does this make any difference?
Old 01-07-2017, 01:22 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

To my knowledge, there has never been a factory ls alternator that is a true 1-wire.

See my comments above....a true 1-wire has only 1 wire hooked up to the alternator and that is the thick gauge charge wire off the lug in the back of the alternator that goes to the battery. There zero other wires.

A factory alternator should be able to be converted to a 1 wire by your local alt/starter shop.