Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

99 Silverado help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Silverado help

Just got hp tuners and wanted a little advice before I dive in.
I'm tuning a stock 99 with a 5.3 and I was kinda wondering what to hit engine wise? Is there any point in doing the ve tables on a stock truck? Anything I should know? I figured I'll adjust some trans settings, dull the knock sensors a touch and add a little timing. I've heard the 99s had problems with false knock as well. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Remove some of torque management, and tune the ve table. Adjust your transmission shift points and go from there. I was amazed at how much better my truck ran just doing those things. I haven't added timing yet, but I don't really feel like I need to. My stock ve table was pretty crappy
Old 10-25-2016, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Thank you. Probably remove all torque management and see how it feels. I just didn't know how close the ve table would be stock and I don't have a wide band on this one. But if there's gains I'll play with it
Old 10-25-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Stock MAF and VE should be pretty close, if everything is stock I'm not sure I'd change anything there.

You can remove some TM on the engine side for sure. Then I'd adjust all the power enrichment settings. Remove the long delays and lower the throttle enable percentage. Factory has like a 90% delay with a 5,500rpm delay. Lower those to like 1,500 rpm and 50-60% throttle so it picks up and goes a little quicker.

You should be able to lean out the commanded AFR during WOT too, they tend to run deep 11's AFR from the factory, going to 12.0 AFR with a no wideband should still be plenty safe. Quciken the shifts a little and add some shift pressure 5-10% or so.