4.3L Tune and Mods - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums



4.3L Tune and Mods

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
colbyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Manhattan,KS
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 4.3L Tune and Mods

I am new to the site, but a friend recommended it and he said most of you on here know your stuff when it comes to trucks. So I have a couple of questions for all you. I have a 2002 Chevrolet S-10 w/a 4.3L Vortec. I am wanting to do a performance tune on it but cant seem to find any place worth looking into for what i want. Any suggestions? I am also wanting to put different gears in my rear end...I think 4.10 would be to big, so any suggestions on that as well?

Last edited by colbyc; 02-04-2008 at 03:18 AM.
colbyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
TECH Apprentice
 
AeroKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Steel City
Posts: 325
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

K&N filter, cold air intake, and a good tune-up (new plugs/wires, oil change)
AeroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Teching In
 
US ARMY LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: fort hood for now
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyc View Post
I am new to the site, but a friend recommended it and he said most of you on here know your stuff when it comes to trucks. So I have a couple of questions for all you. I have a 2002 Chevrolet S-10 w/a 4.3L Vortec. I am wanting to do a performance tune on it but cant seem to find any place worth looking into for what i want. Any suggestions? I am also wanting to put different gears in my rear end...I think 4.10 would be to big, so any suggestions on that as well?

i have a 98 jimmy with the vortec 4.3. i would do a CIA, throttle body spacer, MAF, a set of headers, and a magna-flow exhaust. and they have a plug and play tunner. all this could be found as auto every thing . com. as for the gearing, i know the 4.10 is not to big for the truck asa buddy of mine has an s-10 with 4.10s. but i wouldent go to much bigger than that.
US ARMY LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by US ARMY LS1 View Post
i have a 98 jimmy with the vortec 4.3. i would do a CIA, throttle body spacer, MAF, a set of headers, and a magna-flow exhaust. and they have a plug and play tunner. all this could be found as auto every thing . com. as for the gearing, i know the 4.10 is not to big for the truck asa buddy of mine has an s-10 with 4.10s. but i wouldent go to much bigger than that.
No throttle body spacer or handheld tuner, get a custom tune
054.8 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Teching In
 
US ARMY LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: fort hood for now
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 054.8 silverado View Post
No throttle body spacer or handheld tuner, get a custom tune
http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A2600265.aspx

throttle body spacer


http://www.autoanything.com/performa...0A50211A1.aspx

take yoru pick of wich tuner you would like
US ARMY LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm saying dont get a Throttle Body Spacer or Handheld tuner......TBS's dont do anything on that engine and a handheld tuner is a waste get a custom tune
054.8 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ramsey, MN
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by US ARMY LS1 View Post
TB spacers are paper weights. They don't do anything on vortec V8's why would they work on the V6?

Custom tune is the one mod that will give you a bigger gain than any CAI, exhaust, and headers combined.
svensk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
On The Tree
 
Vmax2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svensk View Post
TB spacers are paper weights. They don't do anything on vortec V8's why would they work on the V6?

Custom tune is the one mod that will give you a bigger gain than any CAI, exhaust, and headers combined.
+1

Handhelds?

Get a custom Tune!!!!
Vmax2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
Teching In
Thread Starter
 
colbyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Manhattan,KS
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

anyone know of anyone who does a good tune on a 4.3?
colbyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
TECH Addict
 
ZO6Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 2,037
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Bet Nelson's got something
ZO6Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2006 RCSB 4x4 V6 to V8 LQ9 Cammed Manual 5 Speed Swap ARC GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 53 07-02-2016 11:08 PM
'09 5.3 Colorado (cammed and not quite slammed) AHelm3 Dynamometer Results & Comparisons 3 04-08-2016 08:51 AM
8.1 / 4L80E towing review Oobray 8-Lug Truck Performance 58 02-13-2016 01:38 AM
99 4.8l JFortner5 GM Engine & Exhaust Performance 7 08-12-2015 09:46 PM
2012 I/C Turbo 5.3 VVT Chevy CC LT Ls3silverado Trucks and SUV Classifieds 0 07-31-2015 05:22 PM


Tags
270hr, 43, 43l, body, cam, custom, it, ls1, mod, mods, performance, throttle, tune, vortec, worth

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.