Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

2000 Z71 gas mileage issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You show me where an engineer states their MY2000 engine is 40% efficient. Go read some SAE papers on internal combustion engine efficiency. You have a lot to learn. Do you realize how much energy is lost in the form of heat? The poor efficiency isn't because of incomplete combustion of the fuel

Well no can do dude. Because the simple change of any part changes the efficiency of the engine I cannot say how efficient your engine is. Get this dude, I know how a engine works. Believe that, I have rebuilt many many motors, know quite a bit of the physics involved. Yea I am not going to say I am stupid in this area. Yes I do realize how much energy is lost in heat. Now have you EVER stopped to sit and think why? I mean seriously have you thought of ways to harness the energy out of it? Don't sit here and tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

Do you understand why excess fuel is injected during WOT operation? I can tell you this...it isn't due to emissions requirements. What part of physics prevents the fuel from burning?

No shiznet. At WOT it doesn't care about emissions. I know this and everyone else does, it is common sense. I was referring to again get this normal driving under normal conditions it can use that much more gas to meet emissions. Wanna know why? Because if the gas isn't burning correctly then the catalytic converter cannot convert the molecules over to the new things. To compensate for this it will burn more gas so there is more atoms available for the conversion. If you wanna know what part of physics prevents it from burning read a few articles. They are everywhere online. I worded it wrong though, it isn't exactly WOT as much as a high RPM. At a high RPM it doesn't burn the gas all the way. Do you even realize how fast the engine is turning. Gas is just a bad gas for fast operation. Look at power curves with engines and you can clearly see that 9 outta 10 engines further prove this point. It isn't like you lose power at a high RPM it. It is that the gas becomes so inefficient at burning it kinda evens out. On to part three....

They most certainly are doing everything within reason to improve fuel economy!! Are you kidding me? Do you realize how much money is spent for a TENTH of a MPG? You clearly have no real understanding of the way the automotive industry works. I live near the Motor City and have several friends directly involved with OEM fuel economy. Every aspect of a new platform/model involves fuel economy. Your conspiracy theory between the auto companies and the oil industry is way off.

Okay let me rephrase this. They do improve fuel economy. Do you realize that if I drive my chevy like most of you do I can get 18MPG best in my truck. Do you realize the physics to an engine? Do you actually understand that EVEN WITH a bad efficiency you can still get fairly good MPG. Conspiracy theory?? Hello man its the world of business. Look at how much money oil companies give to the government to get their way. Seriously for you to say I am just a total idiot is just stupid. How the hell do you know what I have planned or what I am capable of? Oh good for you, I live near motor city too. So what? I mean quit telling me off like you are. People like you are the reason a person like myself could go make a brand new engine that gets many more MPG than anything seen AND THEN never tell anyone. Seriously quit being a child.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Garage_Man
You show me where an engineer states their MY2000 engine is 40% efficient. Go read some SAE papers on internal combustion engine efficiency. You have a lot to learn. Do you realize how much energy is lost in the form of heat? The poor efficiency isn't because of incomplete combustion of the fuel

Well no can do dude. Because the simple change of any part changes the efficiency of the engine I cannot say how efficient your engine is. Get this dude, I know how a engine works. Believe that, I have rebuilt many many motors, know quite a bit of the physics involved. Yea I am not going to say I am stupid in this area. Yes I do realize how much energy is lost in heat. Now have you EVER stopped to sit and think why? I mean seriously have you thought of ways to harness the energy out of it? Don't sit here and tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

Do you understand why excess fuel is injected during WOT operation? I can tell you this...it isn't due to emissions requirements. What part of physics prevents the fuel from burning?

No shiznet. At WOT it doesn't care about emissions. I know this and everyone else does, it is common sense. I was referring to again get this normal driving under normal conditions it can use that much more gas to meet emissions. Wanna know why? Because if the gas isn't burning correctly then the catalytic converter cannot convert the molecules over to the new things. To compensate for this it will burn more gas so there is more atoms available for the conversion. If you wanna know what part of physics prevents it from burning read a few articles. They are everywhere online. I worded it wrong though, it isn't exactly WOT as much as a high RPM. At a high RPM it doesn't burn the gas all the way. Do you even realize how fast the engine is turning. Gas is just a bad gas for fast operation. Look at power curves with engines and you can clearly see that 9 outta 10 engines further prove this point. It isn't like you lose power at a high RPM it. It is that the gas becomes so inefficient at burning it kinda evens out. On to part three....

They most certainly are doing everything within reason to improve fuel economy!! Are you kidding me? Do you realize how much money is spent for a TENTH of a MPG? You clearly have no real understanding of the way the automotive industry works. I live near the Motor City and have several friends directly involved with OEM fuel economy. Every aspect of a new platform/model involves fuel economy. Your conspiracy theory between the auto companies and the oil industry is way off.

Okay let me rephrase this. They do improve fuel economy. Do you realize that if I drive my chevy like most of you do I can get 18MPG best in my truck. Do you realize the physics to an engine? Do you actually understand that EVEN WITH a bad efficiency you can still get fairly good MPG. Conspiracy theory?? Hello man its the world of business. Look at how much money oil companies give to the government to get their way. Seriously for you to say I am just a total idiot is just stupid. How the hell do you know what I have planned or what I am capable of? Oh good for you, I live near motor city too. So what? I mean quit telling me off like you are. People like you are the reason a person like myself could go make a brand new engine that gets many more MPG than anything seen AND THEN never tell anyone. Seriously quit being a child.
Wow. I mean, seriously, wow.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Wow. I mean, seriously, wow.

Yea I give up. You are all right. I am wrong. Clearly I am just stupid. Well I can see I am making friends very fast on here lol. It doesn't matter, I am lying about my MPG I get 12 like all of you. I don't know anything about engines or how they work or how to increase efficiency. I came here to troll obviously. So yea you all win. I am wrong, you are right. Clearly chevy is making cars to get the most MPG which explains why old trucks and new trucks get basically the same mileage. Clearly I know nothing about increasing efficiency through something as simple as peltier chips to harness electric power to power other things thus increasing efficiency more than you can think or hho, or my hydrogen system. Clearly my whole system which I have had run off a simple vapor carb with increased efficiency doesn't work. Also the tests I have done with hydrogen mean nothing too. Obviously my new engine block design doesn't work either. I guess I am just your average 19 year old teenager that doesn't own a business, didn't do good in school, doesn't understand how things work. Thanks much everyone I will no longer post to this thread anymore.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Staging Lane

Listen guys I am sorry about all that okay. You have to know though that it isn't like these engines are that efficient. There are ways to make them better. I have some ideas I really wanna test to see what they can do. A few of them are simpler ideas, a few with new engines that are of my own design. A few of them are a hybrid system. I have ideas but unfortunately I cannot show you or test. I am in a terrible position right now and can't even work on my own truck because I have no time. I sit and code games like 100 hours a week. It is hard to get outside and get dirty with the engines.

I am not claiming I know everything, or even smart. For all I know once I test some of these it might not work. All I have are numbers to go off of right now and no hard evidence. When I am in a position to test everything and such I would like to document everything for everyone to see.

My truck does get unusual gas mileage and to tell you the truth I have no idea why. I haven't had time to look into it and really test. I can tell you I have error codes on my knock sensors and o2 sensors and some pressure leak in the gas tank. I don't quite know what that is. Doesn't matter because the trans blew on me so I have to get that fixed before I can do anything. I have tested it again and again to make sure the numbers are right because it just doesn't make sense. It is a stock motor with 205000 miles. It has the bad piston slap. I could go on and on with problems with it. Heck its last oil change was last year.

Just please don't think I am a total idiot, maybe a little but I do have ideas. I have many ideas that I just can't make right now because of poorness ha. Can you even imagine a engine that on demand changes its displacement? It is totally possible and I think I have a design that could do it. I have ideas on how to make these current engines much lighter and more efficient.

As far as motor companies I go with "why change what works." They can make it better but why do what you don't need to right? There is potential to make it better but I just don't see them doing everything they can to make it better. They have made some advances, such as cylinder deactivation however that still doesn't help solve the problem that running at 55 down the road the engine can't get enough air because the butterfly isn't open enough. Can you get a correct fuel air ratio? You bet. Is is efficient? Hell no it isn't. The engine would be much more efficient if it had the proper air. Anyway now I will leave this thread be. It is so far off topic anyways.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:50 AM

no need to get all worked up about it. it all very interesting and good things come from trying.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am ecstatic that this last tank of gas, calculated by gallons used divided by miles driven, showed 17.83 MPG's. A record for my 2002 Z71, especially since I think we still have "winter blend" gas here. I usually see 16 no matter what.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The light blue are combo's that I don't think were built. The Yellow highlights are the 2 that are the most common for 2wd and the 4wd

Name:  Tire.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  87.7 KB
Old 03-26-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garage_Man
Because if the gas isn't burning correctly then the catalytic converter cannot convert the molecules over to the new things. To compensate for this it will burn more gas so there is more atoms available for the conversion. If you wanna know what part of physics prevents it from burning read a few articles. They are everywhere online. I worded it wrong though, it isn't exactly WOT as much as a high RPM. At a high RPM it doesn't burn the gas all the way. Do you even realize how fast the engine is turning. Gas is just a bad gas for fast operation. Look at power curves with engines and you can clearly see that 9 outta 10 engines further prove this point. It isn't like you lose power at a high RPM it. It is that the gas becomes so inefficient at burning it kinda evens out.

People like you are the reason a person like myself could go make a brand new engine that gets many more MPG than anything seen AND THEN never tell anyone. Seriously quit being a child.

I sit and code games like 100 hours a week. It is hard to get outside and get dirty with the engines.

I am not claiming I know everything, or even smart.

I guess I am just your average 19 year old teenager that doesn't own a business, didn't do good in school, doesn't understand how things work.
The above quotes pretty much sum it up for me. I appreciate when I see young people interested in engineering...Its a great field, and is more than just a job to me. It irks me a bit when they think they have it all figured out by age 19 though. I remember what it was like to be that age, but no matter what you think, you don't have all of the answers. Try 4-6 years of college, then some real world, on the job experience. It could be very enlightening for you.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
The above quotes pretty much sum it up for me. I appreciate when I see young people interested in engineering...Its a great field, and is more than just a job to me. It irks me a bit when they think they have it all figured out by age 19 though. I remember what it was like to be that age, but no matter what you think, you don't have all of the answers. Try 4-6 years of college, then some real world, on the job experience. It could be very enlightening for you.

Yes yes. I just want to assure you that I am not your normal teenager who thinks he can conquer the world. I have been rebuilding smaller engines for years upon years. I started out on go-karts, something small and simple. Took the engines all apart and figured out how they work. When everyone told me I was just a 14 year old kid and would never get it working I proved them wrong. I made new ways to do things and just engineered a lot.

Now with that said, I have always excelled and learned things really fast. Like drums for example I am really good at and one year at a band festival I had to play and only got to look at the music for a minute and I played everything right. The judge that judged us said I was one of the best he has ever heard do it. That was when I was 15 I believe, maybe 14. Long time ago.

Just want to make 1 thing clear before I go on, I am aware I do not know everything. I learn a lot as I go. I am by no means a smart person at all. Just learn and do trial and error from that.

Anyway I do have kinda a interest in it. Not so much though, I am just doing it because I like to try things out and test. I find it fun and my job allows me to work how I want and get paid so why not. I have the ideas and my friend knows all the physics and math that goes into it. We have made so many weird things. He took a course in high school and he graduated early and took college level everything. He actually didn't attend high school at all, he went to this other school. He learned lots of engineering as that was what the school was based on.

I personally have more of an interest in technology and electronics. I was the best in my class for the two years I took a "college" course on computers. At that point I had many people tell me I could do anything I wanted. In the last year I have learned a game engine, Java, Maya, 3ds, and photoshop. I also have a very well understanding in Autocad as I took drafting class too. I however never paid much attention in English class and I think you are all aware of that. I had a chance to go to college paid in full, I turned it down for now to work on my business. To me it holds much more opportunity in it than college ever would at the moment. I still study as I would in college however it is on my time and at my pace. I know you all think I am insane for doing so.

I am currently rebuilding my truck. If anyone is slightly interested I would like to make a build thread maybe. I don't know though if anyone cares though. I bet it is in the worst condition any of you have ever seen from a 2000 silverado.

I am also making a new computer for the truck. It will be able to control all kinda fundamental parts. I am going for touchscreen everything and it is getting there. It replaces the headlight controls, the heater controls, and the airbag on/off area with full touch screens. Want your headlights on just click a button instead of the ****, heat will work the same way. Set the heat at 70 degrees and the computer adjusts the heat to make sure it is 70 in the cab all the time. It is just a very simple setup with screens and everything. That isn't a pipe dream I am currently designing it just so you all know. I am not that concerned so much about that project at the moment though. I have more pressing matters like the business at hand. Anyway I hope you all kinda understand a bit more now. I didn't mean to offend anyone here at all. Just thought I would share the MPG my truck gets. Who would have thought it would turn into a fight.

Oh FYI mine has the 3.73 and it cruises at around 1400-1600 @55 <Digital reading not analog. It doesn't seem to make enough torque around that RPM to drive the truck good though.

Hope no ones brain hurts to bad from reading all that. I know I got one from writing it. Anyways would anyone be interested in a build thread of my truck??