Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

1996 GMC Sierra W/no check engine light and can't read pcm

Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1996 GMC Sierra W/no check engine light and can't read pcm

Hi...I have a 96 gmc sierra Stepside Z71 xc, 5.7/4wd/auto...I bought it 2 months ago and have been trying to figure out why when i start the car the ses light does not light and when i try to read my computer, my scanner says it can't communicate...I have used the scanner on my 96 suburban without problem, so i know the scanner is working...the truck seems to run ok...it had a 95 single cat exhaust with homemade o2 sensor ports wich i have since changed for the correct duel cat setup...I also noticed that the seatbelt warning light, key in ignition, headlight warning buzzer don't work either?? maybe coincidence?? I have checked all fuses and the wires all look in tact...I need help or i wont be able to pass inspection...any help you can give is greatly appreciated...thanks in advance...John
Old 09-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen this many times on the older vortec trucks
Get a new pcm and what that does
That always worked
Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 AM

Default thanks, but tried it

hi and thanks for your quick reply, i did buy a pcm from ebay from a 96 tahoe with same motor and trans etc...plugged it in and no change...is there anything special you have to do when changing pcm?? after i swapped them, i didn't even notice and change in the way the motor ran and i assumed there should have been while the truck relearned its functions...thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned

Do you even have power to your diagnostic port? Check your fuses. Your check engine light is probably burned out and someone probably removed your door chime/buzzer box under the dash.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Hi and thanks for your reply...I have checked all fuses and they are good, there is no power to the port, i was wondering if there was a relay or something that might have been unplugged or be bad...and i thought the ses light is an led...so it really can't burn out like a conventional bulb...I think it is more than a coincidence that the ses and port are both dead, just can't figure out why...thanks for your thoughts though...every little bit helps
Old 09-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if there is no power to the prt that is the problem,it will not work if there is not power to the prt
I know you know this but the port runs off the cig lighter fuse
Old 09-08-2008, 06:40 PM

I have been boggling minds from coast to coast...lol...the no ses light and port seem to be to much of a coincidence, i was hoping there was a trick to disable both and a fix to get em working again...can't really figure out why someone would do it though....thanks for your reply
Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

also all of the lights in the cluster are bulbs. check to see if they are good.
if you can't find the bad fuse for the obd2 port then run a 12v fused power wire to it.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:06 PM

thanks, i'll give it a try tomorrow...keep your fingers crossed
Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Banned

CEL is not an LED. Just a regular bulb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 GMC Sierra W/no check engine light and can't read pcm