THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

tag light ticket, anything i can do??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tag light ticket, anything i can do??

Well i was driving around late lastnight, passing the time because there was nothing better to do, not speeding or anything. just cruising aroudn 35 mph, nex thing i know a cop suv cuts off the car behind me and gets behind me, i think this can not be good, and sure enough about 2 seconds later blue lights. so i pull over into a dealership parking lot. office comes to my window and tells me he stopped me because i have blacked out tail lights and no working tag light, he runs my lisence , comes back and has me get out and walk to the back of the truck, lectures me about my tail lights and how its not safe for them to be blacked out even though my lights shine clearly through them. then gives me a ticket for my tag light. a little annoyed i think that im thankful it was just that and not the tail lights too. i call and the ticket is $112!!!!!!! is there anything i can do about this?!!? like fix the light and see about having it dropped or anything? or am i just SOL?????
Old 01-26-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sucks to hear it man.

You are probably SOL, its been said many times before but the police can do whatever they want. You could fight it and possibly get the fine lowered, but since its not a ticket that gives you points on your license i personally wouldn't mess with it.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Go buy some cheap $3 bulbs, keep your receipt. Go to the Courthouse within the allotted time and try to get it dismissed with the receipt. If the clerk cannot do it, ask for an extension and an appointment to see a judge. You'll be grouped with 20+ people a few weeks from then and bring your ticket and receipt, and most Municipal Courts offer a "fix-it" deduction to your ticket which usually brings it down to all charges being dropped and a simple ~$15 fine. It's really no big deal at all, I wouldn't sweat it for a minute.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had some tail lights go out while driving my old car (short circut in one of the rear lights caused all of them to go out.) The ticket was over $100 but If I fixed the problem and had another officer to sign off that they worked the ticket dropped to $18. No points because its not a moving violation.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:05 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

A cop wrote me a warning for those lights being out once. I fixed it and now keep some spares in my truck in case they go out and I dont know it I can be like, "hang on 5 seconds and ill fix it right now"
Old 01-26-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
A cop wrote me a warning for those lights being out once. I fixed it and now keep some spares in my truck in case they go out and I dont know it I can be like, "hang on 5 seconds and ill fix it right now"
That's weird. AL State Trooper told me that the tag light wasn't a requirement.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:16 PM
The House is Rockin'

i have been written 3 warnings for having a tag light.

because its red.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Here in cali that would be called a "fix it ticket", And its only a $25 fine here.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Where's the Beef?

I had 1 tag light out and the cop just told me that it needs to be fixed cuz the other one by itself wasn't bright enough. Most cops around here won't even stop you for no tag light but the Highway patrol will in a heartbeat.
I'd try to get it reduced. Its such a minor thing for him to write a ticket about.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will depend on your state. In NY state that is the basic fix it ticket. You can fix it in about 2 business days, have a vehicle defect slip signed, and there will be no fine at all. What state are you from?

Quick Reply: tag light ticket, anything i can do??