THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Repair, Salvage or Part-out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Repair, Salvage or Part-out?

I need you guy's opinion on something. Long story short, GM's sub-par corrosion protection has left my wife's 2006 Cobalt SS structurally unfit to drive any longer. The rear subframe mounts have completely rusted off and detached from the body. My wife is very attached to this car and there is nothing else currently out that she wants. So.. being that the car only books ~$9K in good condition, I am at a cross roads of what I want to try to do with it. My thoughts are:

1. Find a cheap running base model Cobalt coupe and transfer all the SS specific parts over to it. This is not all that labor intensive for me and would provide a driveable vehicle for her in the interim. The tough part would be finding a good Arrival Blue base model for a decent price.

2. Find something else that she likes (I found a TBSS for a good price that she is warming up to). Part out the SS specific parts then scrap the frame and remaining body. I figure I could make $5-6K on the engine, transaxle and interior alone.

3. Find something else for her and sell the car to a salvage yard. I am not sure how much I could get for the car doing it this way. This would be the quickest way to get rid of it.

4. Try to repair the rusted out under-body. I think this would be the most labor intensive and expensive option as a donor chassis would likely be needed.

And a few pics for your viewing pleasure...
Subframe attachments as they are now

Flaking exterior clearcoat

How the car looked when I changed out the rotted subframe two years ago (been telling her we need to do something with the car since then)

Old 09-26-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only downfall to swapping to a base chassis is you lose the ss vin and it just becomes a swapped car.

i dont know how much wieght that holds though, its not 70 chevelle.

where is the car from? thats not florida rust.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Car was bought new in Orlando and lived it's whole life here. My wife does work at a Marine Park that is on the beach though. Dealership pretty much accused it of being a northern car and gave us suspicious looks when we told them it wasn't.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

The other salt got to it, and got it bad.

I havent seen a cobalt that bad up here MN with all of our road salt, but I only see a cobalt once a week at work if that.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigKID
I need you guy's opinion on something. Long story short, GM's sub-par corrosion protection has left my wife's 2006 Cobalt SS structurally unfit to drive any longer. The rear subframe mounts have completely rusted off and detached from the body. My wife is very attached to this car and there is nothing else currently out that she wants. So.. being that the car only books ~$9K in good condition, I am at a cross roads of what I want to try to do with it. My thoughts are:

1. Find a cheap running base model Cobalt coupe and transfer all the SS specific parts over to it. This is not all that labor intensive for me and would provide a driveable vehicle for her in the interim. The tough part would be finding a good Arrival Blue base model for a decent price.

2. Find something else that she likes (I found a TBSS for a good price that she is warming up to). Part out the SS specific parts then scrap the frame and remaining body. I figure I could make $5-6K on the engine, transaxle and interior alone.

3. Find something else for her and sell the car to a salvage yard. I am not sure how much I could get for the car doing it this way. This would be the quickest way to get rid of it.

4. Try to repair the rusted out under-body. I think this would be the most labor intensive and expensive option as a donor chassis would likely be needed.
I like option 1 or 2. Here's why. I don't think salvage will give much, maybe I'm wrong, but if I had same, still check w/ salvage yard too.
Option 1 allows her keep car, & I understand perfectly well not liking what's new out there. Brewster might have a point on losing SS specific VIN, but if she keeps it, that may matter little.

Option 2 I think I like most. U recoup some $.
Just say books for $9k, just say u sell off parts & get $6k. That's not a terrible difference & could go toward another ride w/o structural concerns.

I must say, us MI guys vehicles might be in better shape underneath, not by much tho.

**** on dealership that gave u looks on an all FL car ; it's saltwater.

A few things besides above. How many miles on her SS?
How much would a chunk of subfloor off a donor vehicle be? If u wanna keep the SS specific VIN matters that is.

I'd go to Cobalt SS forums & sniff around. See some prices maybe on what they're goin for, & / or maybe find a good used floor. My .02.
I'm curious what u do. I do like the color tho & these cars for what they are, particularly the turbo version. Good luck, keep us informed.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good body man can fit it.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:50 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Por 15 it the stuff is great
Old 10-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Made in South Korea

Originally Posted by BigKID
My wife is very attached to this car and there is nothing else currently out that she wants. 1.
My wife said the same thing, new car and the old one is gone! I would part it out/get out of it. You don't want 2 money pits, it will eat into your truck time!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:17 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maaco and eBay... buyer beware. Don't dump money into something you'll never have a chance of getting back. Whatever she gets next make sure it's got some rustproofing!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know this post is old - but perhaps just an update of what you did with it would be good.

GM has 10 Year Corrosion protection from Rot Through. The warranty shouldn't be up until 2016. (Unless they trashed this in 2008)
GM should fix it or replace the car.

I wouldn't try fixing it. THere are lots of these cars out there, and if nothing else strip it for all of it's parts and pieces and send it to the crusher.
Use the parts on a non-rotted out car and undercoat the replacement so it lasts you a lot longer.

Quick Reply: Repair, Salvage or Part-out?