THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

I have been thinking about going back to school for my Masters

Old 09-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I did some research at work today. If i get an Engineering Management Masters at SMU (local private college) work will cover all excepr $4200. It will take roughly 3 years to complete. Best of all it is only 8-5 on my off Fridays. They offer a special program just for my company. We are off every other Friday. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Seem like a no brainer... Deuce on!!!
Old 09-12-2016, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do iT !
Old 09-13-2016, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get on it bud.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
It is not for more money. I make enough to be happy. It is to try and open up other opportunities in the future. Having an engineering degree kinda limits me to the engineering/IS&T side if the house.
Is that limitation specific to your company? I don't know any managers where I work that have an MBA or masters in engineering management.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

On my side of the house it still works on "who you know" not "what you know", My supervisor doesn't have a degree but he's 3 levels above me. However, he knows his job inside and out.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by firebladeJJ
On my side of the house it still works on "who you know" not "what you know", My supervisor doesn't have a degree but he's 3 levels above me. However, he knows his job inside and out.
that's the tough part about college. By the time you graduate, your buddies who went straight to work after high school now have 4 years of experience; and every job posting seems to want experience in the field at least that is how it seems to work in my oil driven economy here in Houston. luckily I got out of oil/gas before it went to ****.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by firebladeJJ
I think it works like that everywhere but I wouldn't depend solely on other people to get to where I want to be. Luck probably plays a bigger role in a scenario like your boss's.

I don't know what industry you are in but go back and put a person with a degree against him when the supervisor position was open and 9/10 times I bet they'd give it to the person holding the degree, ceteris paribus.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:10 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I have several friend who have been through this same question. For about 95% of them, it didn't not significantly benefit them from an income standpoint. Matter of fact, it hurt them because almost all of them did so on student loans......which are the devil.

In a case where you are at a company that you love and they will pay for the education and there are clear opportunities for it to help you make either horizontal or up moves with in the company (think promotion), there is some merit to continue your education.

I've had friends that only looked at the promise of a 10+12k dollar a year raise being blinded by the fact that when they are done, they are stuck with a 60,000 dollar student loan bill.

In many cases, motivated workers can work themselves up the corporate ladder in the same amount of time to get a masters. Only difference is that the ones who did it by working hard at the company and being pro-active about pursuing higher positions are blessed by the fact that there isn't a ridiculous loan that then must be dealt with.

Student loans are about the most harmful debit a person can take on.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
Student loans are about the most harmful debit a person can take on.
Tell me about it, my wife is starting her masters program, she already has 2 bachelor degrees. Student loans out the butt here!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have been thinking about going back to school for my Masters