THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

How long do you plan on owning your current truck?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the attention span of a two year old so I never hang on to stuff. That's why I always wait for the best deal possible so I know I can almost always get out from under it of I find the next thing I "can't live without."
Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cheyenne383
I have the attention span of a two year old so I never hang on to stuff. That's why I always wait for the best deal possible so I know I can almost always get out from under it of I find the next thing I "can't live without."
I'm the same way. I'll buy a vehicle thinking that I'm going to keep it forever and then I end up selling it a year later and changing directions completely.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

this is my forever truck. I would lose a chit ton of money cause I have so much invested.
I will end up buying another vehicle to daily drive so the truck can just be a toy
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

i've owned:

78 buick regal, factory recall car supposed to have a v6 but came off the line with a 305, original owner never brought it back. loved that car but after 3 transmissions i had to let it go.

74 chevy nova, bought it for $400, replaced the spark plugs and wires, drove the **** out of it and sold it for $1500.

79 mazda rx7, hated that car at the time cause it never ran right only had it for a month before i got fed up with it

88 chev s10, great little truck that wouldnt die, trust me i tried

94 chev 2500, great truck literally drove the wheel off it

99 chev s10 first new vehicle also first one that i mod'd, lift kit, custom bumpers and stuff, was planning a v8 swap but lost my job and it got repo'd

91 chev cavalier bought for $300 from a friend fixed the body damage he did to it and was going to keep it as a project car, wanted to make a rally type car out of it for grin but ended up selling it to a coworker for $1000

74 chev 3/4 ton payed $1000 for it when my s10 got repo'd ran great but looked like crap

89 chev k1500 stepside ran a 21 sec 1/4mile! lol reliable truck just the 350 it had was tired. Had plans for it but ended up trading it in for my 03

03 chev silverado, this is the truck that made me join pt.net, had big plans for it but never went through with them, mainly because there was so much info on this site that i coulndt decide

09 jeep wrangler regret having to sell it, it was almost done, lift, bumpers etc. next step was to put a LS motor in it but had to sell it due to getting layed off at work, couldnt afford 2 car payments so i kept the lower payment one

06 gmc 2500hd, this one i plan on keeping for a long time, its been a trooper. drove it for 8 months with 3rd and 4th gear toasted and it kept on going everyday even after overheating a few times. figure it treated me good so i may as well return the favor and fix her up. unlike the 03 i know what i want to do its just a matter of getting money together for parts

84 f150 was going to fully restore it since it does have some sentimental value but no time to do it so sold it back to the guy that originally owned it when it was new lol

i get attached to my autos, except for the rx7 lol, everytime i sell one its like losing a friend, hell even the trucks i drive for work i have a favorite one and get mad when someone else drives it lol
Old 07-22-2014, 11:28 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a Z71 Suburban over the weekend lol... I have issues.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Teching In

1990 RCLB Chevrolet Cheyenne 1500 2WD – first truck, passed down to younger sibling during college. 350 EFI…truck was slow as fack but I thought it was so beast back then. Had a couple of Orion 10” subs and Orion HCCA amp. RF 4”x6” speakers all around…yeah buddy….life was good.

1992 ECSB Silverado 2WD – having extended cab was sweet. Also first time I had power locks and windows. In this one I had a couple of Pioneer Premier “Nickel” 12” subs, Punch 800w amp, and I think some clarion 4”x6” speakers.

2000 ECSB Z71 LS – I bought this truck in 2002 just after college. I was in heaven. You thought 2-door extended cabs were cool? Well, let me show you the 3rd door! Power bucket seats, full-length console, disc brakes all around, and also my first time having 4WD. Lol I remember how much more powerful the 5.3L felt compared to the tired old TBI 350. To this day, I still wish I had never sold that truck. I went through several different audio setups in this truck. I deadened the entire cab, which was a huge PITA.

2005 ECSB Z71 LS – This truck was alright. Had the L33 5.3L and electric fans. Wasn’t thrilled about GM switching back to rear drums though. And there was a rattle behind the dash that I never could track down. Only had this truck for about 9 months before I sold it to a friend. Had a sweet Pioneer Premier PRS audio setup in the truck.

1999 2-door Tahoe Sport 4x4 – I had always wanted one of these. In 2007, I found a nice one with only 60K miles. Drove it for a couple of years and then sold it to my sister, as I was looking at getting into a 2009 LMM. I may buy it back one day. I really wish GM would make one with a K2XX truck front end. Sh*t would be sooooo cash.

2009 CCSB 4x4 LMM – This was my first experience with owning a diesel truck. Interior rattled like crazy. Dash cracked out of nowhere at 43K miles. Power locks in the rear quit working also around 40K miles. Drove it for 4 years and if I ever get back into the diesel game it will be Ford or Dodge. Traded that in for my current truck. Had a couple of different audio setups in this one.

2012 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 2WD – I was a bit hesitant to jump back to a gasser after driving a torque-filled diesel truck for 4 years, but one test drive with the 6.2L and I knew I’d be fine. This thing sh*ts all over the 5.3L. I’ll admit, I’ve never been much for a “fancy” truck, but after having leather in the TX heat, you’ll want some seat coolers in your next truck. So after some searching, I found a gently used (10K miles) Sierra Denali. I also wanted the Denali because of the 6.2L without AFM, the 9.5” 14-bolt rear (2WD model), and of course, cooled seats. I also like the painted front and rear bumpers. I have a complete audio setup for this truck, just waiting for the right weekend to install everything.

Every time I buy a truck, I tell myself that I’m going to hold onto it until the wheels fall off, and I probably would if I drove more than 12K-15K miles in a year. I’ve never kept a vehicle for more than 4 years. What can I say…when you’re a truck guy, it’s hard to convince yourself that spending money on trucks is wasteful. If I know me, by next summer this one will be gone, too.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Synthetic
What can I say…when you’re a truck guy, it’s hard to convince yourself that spending money on trucks is wasteful.
It's easier for me to justify spending money on new parts than it is to buy myself a new pair of pants. I guess everyone has their own priorities.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:04 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I bought mine brand new in 2004 with 70miles on it. I plan to convert it into a coffin and be buried in it...
Same here. Bought it new with 63 miles, now has 113k and became a weekend toy back in may. If it doesnt fall apart on me *cough*dash*cough* it will die with me lol.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought mine new in 03, will drive it till the wheels fall off or it rust away..
Old 09-06-2014, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt@Flowmaster
It's easier for me to justify spending money on new parts than it is to buy myself a new pair of pants. I guess everyone has their own priorities.
Woman: I wanna go on a trip
me: I cant afford it
Woman: your always buying truck parts
me:

Grandmother: You need new jeans
Me: well...xmas is coming...

I cant even justify a hair cut when I'm saving for a new part haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long do you plan on owning your current truck?