THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

GPS Device for our trucks?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Device for our trucks?

In case of theft what are you guys using for GPS devices to track your trucks,

Looking for something that I could use with my phone or get on the web and track just incase, I know of lojack but what else is there.

not looking at the cheap ebay 20$ trackers either
Thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interested as well. Always wanted to get a device of device sort
Old 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump..
Old 09-13-2016, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i lost my truck last weekend coming out of a baseball stadium, i have a pretty good idea how it feels when u get your truck stolen but luckely i found it, interested aswell
Old 09-13-2016, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by walledition
i have a pretty good idea how it feels when u get your truck stolen
lol are you sure about that

Richard
Old 09-13-2016, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

damn "someotherguy" sorry to see that, must feel BAD
Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 PM
Launching!

After some research, I think I am going to give the Mastrack obd device a try. It plugs into the obd port so it's always powered on unlike most of the other ones which are battery powered. Has good reviews on Amazon too
Old 09-13-2016, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

My remote start has a tracking feature through an app on my phone, so long as it has cell service, it allows me to start the truck, unlock/lock the doors and get a gps location of where its at...all because somehow one of my kids ended up in my truck and locked herself in one day, odd part is i almost always lock my doors when i get out of the truck... The one time i apparently didnt.... And i have a bad habit of locking ny keys in my truck at least once every couple of months....
Old 09-14-2016, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KRedSilverado
After some research, I think I am going to give the Mastrack obd device a try. It plugs into the obd port so it's always powered on unlike most of the other ones which are battery powered. Has good reviews on Amazon too
Thief sees something plugged into the diag port when they get in, I'd be willing to bet they just ****** the plug out.

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
My remote start has a tracking feature through an app on my phone, so long as it has cell service, it allows me to start the truck, unlock/lock the doors and get a gps location of where its at...all because somehow one of my kids ended up in my truck and locked herself in one day, odd part is i almost always lock my doors when i get out of the truck... The one time i apparently didnt.... And i have a bad habit of locking ny keys in my truck at least once every couple of months....
If this is a feature of your alarm or the unit looks even a little bit like an alarm, it will be snatched out by the thief.

My point is that whatever device you choose must be hidden really well, not have easily detectable wiring, and be powered by a source that isn't obvious to a thief as they go digging around looking for devices to disable. That's supposed to be what Lojack gets you but I think by now a lot of people know how to disable it.

Richard
Old 09-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by someotherguy
Thief sees something plugged into the diag port when they get in, I'd be willing to bet they just ****** the plug out.

Richard
Could be but I wouldn't think a thief dumb enough to steal a vehicle would be smart enough to look for something like that and if they are looking for a device like that then they are pretty experienced in which case I probably wouldn't even get my truck back either way.....

I did read an article in which they used an old payphone on a cheap recurring plan with a tracking app installed, hidden inside a car to track it down. They wired it in so it would be charging all the time and hid it out of sight so this might take a lot more leg work but looks like a solid setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS Device for our trucks?