THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Can anyone help me? I want to paint my rollpan and tailgate myself.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can anyone help me? I want to paint my rollpan and tailgate myself.

I wasn't sure where to post this.

I think the next project I'll tackle is painting the tailgate and roll pan. I have never done this before. About 15 years ago I painted using HVLP gun and I've painted thousands of things using rattle cans since then.

I've always wanted to paint a vehicle and I think this would be a good first step.

First off, I'm not looking to weld in the roll pan. I'm just going to bolt it in. I am going to be welding in a panel for my tailgate handle relocation.

What I'm looking for is a list of things I'll need. Maybe a website or 2 with examples.

Here's what I currently have:

Air compressor that can handle painting. (2 stage, 60 gallon, 15 SCFM @ 100 psi.)

Harbor Freight paint gun set. The older one that has 2 guns in it.

Harbor Freight industrial air filter/regulator.

Dura-block sanding block kit.

I'm going to build a makeshift booth. Nothing large enough to paint a car in, but contained enough to control the environment. (I'm thinking PVC pipe structure with see through plastic and a radiator space heater to regulate temperature. Also, a box fan/ac filter setup. Positive displacement.)

So, I strip the roll pan down to metal. Then filler, primer, base coat, clear coat.

I strip the tailgate down to metal where the panel is welded in. The process is similar to the roll pan except I don't need to strip the entire tailgate, but I will need to rough up the existing paint.

So what do I use to rough up the paint? What grades of sandpaper are recommended for the filler? What sanding blocks should I use? Something larger than the filler area right?

What do I need to do this right?

What do I use to strip the paint? Sandpaper? Chemicals? I have an electric D/A sander.

180, 220, and 320 grit sandpaper? What sandpaper do I need for the blocks? What sandpaper do I need for the D/A?

Evercoat rage body filler?

On Amazon, it looks like the filler is $20 and the block's sandpaper is $20 a roll. That's $80 and I still need paint/primer, cleaning supplies, etc.

I want to get a list together so I can order off of amazon. I need to get the paint code, but I'll probably buy the paint locally. My truck is a black 2000 Silverado. I'm pretty sure there's only one black color.

I'm looking forward to learning some body work and paint. It's something I've always wanted to play with. Any feedback/help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Old 11-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These are older pictures.

Name:  60FC6C6B-53F9-45E9-810C-875482DFCB43_zpsipfp9y8j.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  58.4 KB

I was mocking up my roll pan when I took this picture. Originally I wanted to weld it in, but I'm okay with the seams. It'd just be easier.

Name:  1FCD9377-BD08-43DD-9C5A-31BAC10D23BF_zpsf1e9eq2b.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  61.8 KB