THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

What about weight loss?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about weight loss?

Alright guys and girls, i didn't set myself up for failure like most do. I waited until after the new year and holidays are over to start a program for weight loss.

As most of you all know i eat, and eat good haha! I was 223 when i graduated from high school in 2003. I am now 254( yes mostly muscle haha) but I have made a commitment to myself and others that i will run a half marathon in January of 2011 for Blue Cross Blue Shield. I am out of shape physically but my cardio is not all that bad but not that good either. I started this week working out and jogging/running. I am also starting a diet that will hinder me from my daily lunch routine (eating out). My overall goal is to lose the 30lbs i have gained and get in good enough physical shape to run/jog the 13 mile half marathon. For those of you who are health nuts and nutritious eaters, what are some suggestions or possibly even some recipes for low fat, high fiber meals that are fairly easy to cook for lunch and dinner?

My calorie intake calculation to lose 2 lbs a week is 2,267 per day to reach my goal weight and keep it off.
Breakfast:
Thus far my mornings consist of a simple english muffin, cup of fruit or a scrambled egg and cheese on wheat tortilla.
Mid Morn Snack:
for a snack i do a apple, orange or some sort of grain bar...(nutrigrain or kashi)
Lunch:
Lunch will change drastically for me as i used to eat out most every day, I will have turkey on wheat, or a grilled chicken breast on whole wheat bun, and either baby steamed carrots or green beans or a few baked lays chips(less than 10....1srv.)
Dinner:
As for dinner, I love meat and potatoes so this is the hardest part. I am under the impression that i can have beef 1-2 nights a week but it needs to be lean like a 90/10 burger with low fat cheese, or a steak with little fat on it, or chicken/pork chops, and a small microwave potatoe, or some steamed asparagus or green beans and a brocli or culliflower, and salad with 2-3 tablespoons of dressing( low fat).

I posted this because i wanted some opinions on what my ideas look like and if anything should be changed? I used to eat good and workout when i was in high school but kinda fell off during college and now i just don't want to end up having to keep buying bigger pants and shirts. Im not looking to be all ripped up just want to be in better shape
Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 AM
The House is Rockin'

well i can tell you for me, i weighed 267, 3 months ago, now im down to 228! this was all accomplished by make a few miner adjustments. so here it goes...

first and foremost NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! this means no soda at all. start check your labels!

WATER, WATER, WATER! you need to be drinkin atleast 8 glasses a day to flush out your fat cells, another bonus of water is it kills your hunger.

second NO BREAD OR PASTA! for atleast a month or two till you get in a routine.

third NO RED MEAT! this is the hardest thing for your body to digest, and it is also known to cause colon cancer, as hard as it is stay away...

forth NO DESSERT! if you want somthing sweet try fruit or a low fat yogurt. breyers doesnt count lol.

fith BE COMMITED! the key is to lose the weight and keep it off. it would be worse for your body to lose the weight, and gain it right back.

WEIGHT LOSS BOOKS! i dont really believe in them, but there is 1 that is really good. it is called "FIT FOR LIFE"

here is how my day goes.

breakfeast: 2 pieces of fruit, whatever you like. or oat meal, try bobs red mill

lunch: i usaully skip lunch, but its not necessary. try a small salad, with cucumbers tomatoes and black olives and garbanzo beans, remember tho no dressing like ranch, honey mustard, ceasar. try a homemade mix of olive oil and balsamic vinegar with a pinch of honey for sweetness.

dinner: ok here it is. my bad habit was eating 2nd and 3rd helpings. so only eat one plate, you will be hungry, but it will subside after about a week. and remember to eat SLOW... it takes twenty minutes for your brain to tell your stomach your full. try eating a hand full of nuts before dinner, this will help get the glucose to your brain. so that by the time you sit down to eat, you will already be sort-of full.

what i usaully have is, a piece of grilled chicken (or fish, salmon is awesome) that has been marinated for a minimum of 2 days, then throw some pepper and cheyenne on, then put some garlic.
trash the potatoes too much starch. have plenty of fresh veggies. broccoli, squash, salad never hurts.

exercise: im not a fan of exercise, so i tend to do sit ups, try 100 when you wake up, 100 before bed. and of course jogging or fast walking will help ALOT!

THE PAY OFF! for me... it was so much fun being able to wear pants and shirts that i havent worn in years. plus i know that im not only thiner but healthy, which for me is most important....

hope this helped you out, let us know how it goes.

Last edited by heavy chevy boy; 01-20-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man there is a ton of good info there! I have one major question and i find contradictions everywhere. Some say a solid fit 3 square meals a day and others say eat five times with 3 squares and two low fat snacks to kill hunger and that mens metabolism is faster due to the food intake. So is eating five times really a way to speed up metabolisms?

Also i like the idea of no red meat, that won't be hard other than burgers, so i can sub ground turkey, to make a low fat turkey burger on whole wheat bun right?

Everything else is about right on track with what you said so everyone put out your ideas!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was 255 last year. I'm 220 now. No exercize, nada. I stopped eating bread, not completely but where i was eating a loaf a week I eat less than a loaf a month now. I stopped eating at night. That is the key.
I joined a gym Monday and started a new routine last night. I hope to drop another 15lbs and gain some muscle doing it. I eat very nutritionally.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 PM
The House is Rockin'

breakfeast is most important, that will get your metabolism going and burning fat.

as far as how many meals and snacks you eat, really depends on you. i tryed both, for me eating 2-3 meals a day and no snacks, i noticed the most difference. try both and see what works for you.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

I'm 6'2" 265 and I've gone up to 315 for football and I've come done to 210 for when I was training for mma and all I can say you are what you eat. When I lost weight I just ate found that was in a weight watchers book. As long as you eat good and don't eat late at night like bill said you will lose weight fast. And lots of water no SODA
Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

good idea, in the past i have lost 30lbs in one month, it included no sodas, bread, fried food. and i also walk/jogged 3miles a day... and drink alot of water!! by the way this was a bet at work so i made some money... the hard part for me was to keep it off, im back to were i started, fixin to start it again, i went jogging yesterday and hope to start off by going 3x\week
Old 01-20-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i lost five pounds when i took a dump last night. lol hahahaha
Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowswb
that is the only way to do it. Take laxatives and let it come out of either end haha! Thanks for the sound advice guys! I have always ate what i want to but steady worked out causing me not to gain weight, now i hardly work out but have gained a few lbs! I am looking to just slim up and pick up some agility and be feeling better, oh and wear some old clothes too, haha!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:23 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by slowswb
you and ron white

Quick Reply: What about weight loss?