THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Anyone ever heard lifter noise like this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever heard lifter noise like this?

A Buddy of mine has a 99 5.3 Stock Silverado. When you first start the truck sometimes the oil pressure drops to 0 if you give it alil gas it will come back up. Also while driving usually after 25 miles or so it will start with a loud lifter tick. The oil pressure during this time is normal. Never drops while driving. Also I know it's not the gauges when the pressure drops, because you will hear some slight lifter noise start to happen. I linked a video from after a long drive. He said it's been doing this for about 10 months.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

I'd tear it down and replace the lifters, could also be a little piston slap too.

But sounds mainly lifters.

He could dump a half quart of trans fluid in the oil to help clean things up and see anything changes. Trans fluid is a great cleaner.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

What gets me is that it only happens when driving for awhile. After oil changes it quits for awhile then comes back. Sometimes it will start ticking, then stop and start again
Old 03-29-2015, 10:27 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mileage on motor?

drop pan and look at pick up being clogged with sludge
Old 03-29-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Think it has around 185,000 or so on it. I had read on the net that maybe it was the o-ring on the pickup or maybe the oil pump.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

o ring isnt going to just go bad, 185k with sludge will cause issues
Old 02-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LsxCody
What gets me is that it only happens when driving for awhile. After oil changes it quits for awhile then comes back. Sometimes it will start ticking, then stop and start again

I had/have this same thing going on. I believe I've solved the problem. Until I get the write up done let me tell you what i suspect. First, piston slap and engine knock are conditions caused by some component of the engine or the engine block itself to be out of specification, ie; a spun bearing, or worn cylinder walls. If the condition comes and goes (as it does or did on mine) then it is NOT piston slap or a knock. The engine doesn't remold itself after it warms up, if that makes any sense. In short, a knock that is legitimately a knock, will stay a knock. The lifters are a good idea as one person already mentioned. It has been reported that some lifters in earlier model LS based engines, and after a certain amount of mileage will stick, and in some cases even misaligned themselves causing the ticking/knocking sound. Supposedly this condition corrects itself and reoccurs during the normal operation of the vehicle. I'd love to know how they figured that one out. There are several ways people have tried to eliminate this noise, from seafoam, Lucas oil stabilizer, to even a diesel flush of the engine. In this case, with the mileage, age, and condition (sound) of the engine, i would recommend all three. It is also a likely scenario that the heads have a substantial amount of sludge on them, preventing the appropriate flow of oil to the valves.

I went on a tear with this engine (6.0L). I seafoamed the oil and drove it for about two hours straight. Most recommend 200 miles before changing the oil but im impatient. Also I seafoamed the vacuum system, if you haven't done that before you'll be in for a treat! Make sure the truck is warm, then take the vacuum line off the brake booster and slowly pour the entire can into the vacuum line while the vehicle is running, then shut the engine off and let the car sit for 30 minutes to an hour. then start the car, it will smoke like I'm about to go to Denver! That's a marijuana joke.. Anyway, moving on. I drained the oil and left the old oil filter on. after the oil was drained i put the plug back in and began pouring two gallons of diesel into the engine, in the case of the 5.3l, i would suggest 1.5 gallons, I'm sure if I'm wrong somebody will correct me quickly. After the diesel was in the engine, i started the truck and let it idle for about 3 and a half minutes Do not rev the engine during this time. you'll hear ticking towards the end of the time frame, but this time, you'll know why! If you decide to do this.. after the time i shut the engine off and drained the diesel. Then i repeated the process. After the second try was done i used 10w-40 (four quarts) plus two quarts of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. After a brief ride and using a wooden 1x1 to listen to the block noise (that's where you (and I apologize if I'm insulting you) place something solid like a long screwdriver or a wooden broom handle firmly on something you would like to listen too more closely. Such as the cylinder heads, in my case the tapping that i would hear even when the sound "went away" was no longer there) Basically the sound for me had gone away. Currently I am cautiously optimistic, and about to drive the truck some more. Fingers crossed!!

And there are tons of reasons that have been found for that noise.. crazy stuff like a cracked flywheel (dealer verified). A little food for thought as well. I found that the oil filter that was installed was incorrect. Somebody put on a filter that is made for the 5.3 and 5.7. Bad idea.

Either way I hope this helped.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

If you did diesel fuel it wouldnt really matter if you did 1.5 or 2 gallons, both have the same oil capacity. And the 4.8/5.3/6.0 all can accept the same oil filter on 99-07 gen 3 motors. The napa 30142 can be used on all just for reference.

I do prefer using transmission fluid over diesel though, I've let em run for 15min with trans fluid before.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far, so good. FFDP, thanks for the input, after some thought it reoccurred to me that the 4.8, 5.3, 5.665, and 6.0L are merely a measure of displacement, and not an indication of oil capacity. I feel silly about that. As far as the oil filter, mayhaps. But I would err on the side of safety. But if its universal, then hey! why not? Took the truck through the normal conditions that would prompt that obnoxious noise and it did not occur! So I remain cautiously optimistic. Also I know this thread is old, I'm doing this primarily for those who will search in the future! Again, thanks for the input FFDP, I will follow up either way in the future
Old 02-05-2016, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Thats defintely sounding like a lifter/upper end knock...Id say pull the valve covers and see if any rockers are loose.... And thats what my 5.3 did for a few months before it came apart, but only when it was cold at first, overtime it got progressively worse. If oil pressure is dropping,its probably time to look into a pump and check some bearings while youre in there especially one and two rods....

Quick Reply: Anyone ever heard lifter noise like this?