Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

high mileage TBSS,any good???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey fellas I'm looking at a 06 with 120k on it. Runs fine, but what u think I should tinker with just to be safe. All stock truck, and I'm sure trans is untouched.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine depending on who drove it. My first mod on my 06 was a tune and I blew my trans on a roll race on the interstate from 70. Havent had any major problems with OEM parts since. My rearend sounded like it had blacklash issues around 30K miles. I replaced the fluids with Royal Purple and the noise is no longer an issue.

I have 95K miles and she never uses oil and trans still works properly.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have 53k on mine all stock except for SLP exhaust and a FIPK. I work at a Chevy dealer and had a pinion and axle seal replaced and my friend and tech who worked on it put standard gear oil in it (takes dexron LS gear oil) so that caused rear end issues with the clutches sticking, changed the gear oil 2 times under warranty per a GM bulletin and just last month went ahead and replaced the center section(posi-unit) needless to say I work on it myself now, thought at the time GM would have a problem with a tech working on there own car. Other than that I've put tires on it and turned the rotors. No issue with the transmission, the 4L70 is a bit stronger and holds up just fine to near stock power levels, warranty runs out on it in August so I'll start modding it then and see how long it lasts.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:31 PM

Don't mean to hi jack the thread but I was about to ask the same question and didnt want to start a completely new thread. I found myself a 06 TBSS for what seems like a deal $10k. Only thing holding me back is that mileage on it, it currently has 160K miles but the dealer claims the previous owner was a lady that used it for a very long commute to work everyday (san diego to LA) so miles are all highway. Dealer claims they had the mechanic look over everything. What do you guys think, should I take the risk for that price? Everything else on the truck is in great shape, interior is flawless no signs of wear on the seats. I just sold a couple of my f-bodies so Im new to the TBSS world and dont know much about them. Ive been doing plenty of reading on them before I decided to take the plunge though.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bowtieracing818
Don't mean to hi jack the thread but I was about to ask the same question and didnt want to start a completely new thread. I found myself a 06 TBSS for what seems like a deal $10k. Only thing holding me back is that mileage on it, it currently has 160K miles but the dealer claims the previous owner was a lady that used it for a very long commute to work everyday (san diego to LA) so miles are all highway. Dealer claims they had the mechanic look over everything. What do you guys think, should I take the risk for that price? Everything else on the truck is in great shape, interior is flawless no signs of wear on the seats. I just sold a couple of my f-bodies so Im new to the TBSS world and dont know much about them. Ive been doing plenty of reading on them before I decided to take the plunge though.
TBSS from a stealership for only $10k? Sounds super sketchy to me.

I got mine for $13,500 with 108k on it in mint condition. It had been driven by a girl back and forth to school since it was sold from the track that used it as a pacecar. So far I haven't had any problems out of it and I'm up to 115k now without having anything from the factory replaced.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Summitwhite06
TBSS from a stealership for only $10k? Sounds super sketchy to me.

I got mine for $13,500 with 108k on it in mint condition. It had been driven by a girl back and forth to school since it was sold from the track that used it as a pacecar. So far I haven't had any problems out of it and I'm up to 115k now without having anything from the factory replaced.
Nothing sketchy about it at all. Look at the mileage. That is probably soemwhere between loan and retail on it. I probably wouldn't give more than close to loan and try to get them to pull the warranty history and see what has been done and if it was serviced there get the service history. I got an 06 I bought new and it has 140,000 on it. Other than normal stuff like water pump, A/C compressor, throttle body, brake pads and regular service it has been great. Still on original tranny. Look back at post #7 of this thread and you will see a list of what I have replaced and when. That was in May. Just put 4th set of tires on it @135,000. Been avg 45,000 miles out of a set of tires.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Teching In

I have an 07' 150,000 runs like a champ very strong
Transmission shift excellent ,I do oil changes every 3,000 miles
I've owned it for 2 years no problems with it at all
Mobil 1oil & 93 octane gas all times