TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Towing with a Yukon xl, got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing with a Yukon xl, got a few questions

Ok, been doing a lot of reading the past couple weeks but figured I'd ask the experts since I can't find exactly what I'm looking for info wise. Excuse me if any of this is noobish but I hate to make a stupid mistake.
The wife decided to grace us with surprise twins (not the fun whiney kind) on top of our already 3 kids so I'm in the market for a 7 passenger vehicle lol. Since now we can't all fit in the hot rods I need a good tow pig. Settled on some variant of a Yukon xl.
Now, the big question, I have a 99 Sierra ecsb 4x4 that I'm adding twin turbos to its swapped in 6.0 along with an 80e and 14 bolt rear swap. It weighed 5200 lbs with me in it before the twins/80e/14 bolt so I'm guessing truck itself with me out of it will probably be 5300ish with no driver.
First question, what size trailer do I need to tow the Sierra, 20ft mandatory or will an 18footer do it?
Next question, I get that brakes/balljoints and rear suspension are beefed up on the 2500 variants and they have a higher tow capacity. But, could the 1/2 ton versions (most likely a Denali so it has the 6.0) be beefed up enough to compare with towing ability? Like 05up truck fronts, hydroboost swap, add rear air bags for the load, and maybe swap in a set of 4.10's? And eventually an 80e swap when the 60 pukes lol. Wheelbase is obviously the same between the two and I don't see weight being that much different between a half to a 3/4 ton suv. Or am I missing something more here? Feel free to school me if I'm way off base.
Basically I'm assuming I'll wind up around 9,000 lbs with the truck/trailer combo. Is that too much for even the 2500 xl? I keep reading conflicting things. If they'd just offer a dmax in the suv I'd be all over it but ah well.
Or, should I just abandon the though of towing the pickup around, snag a clean 00-06 Denali, and be happy only hauling around the hot rods?
Any input is much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

The biggest difference in 1500 and 2500 suvs is the 2500 are leaf spring rear suspension the 1500 are coil springs, which makes a hella differnce in load carrying/towing capacity!!!!

Btw congrats on the twins and welcome to the 5 kids with a set of twins club!!!! Fraternal or identical???
Old 11-06-2015, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh as far as trailer goes id go 20' with highest rating you can get ahold of!!!!
Old 11-07-2015, 12:15 AM
Launching!

Thank you for the congrats. They'll be here in may, and we have a 7 month old right now, so things are going to be a little crazy lol. At least the other 2 are older so we'll have some help! the twins are fraternal, everything is separate in there. She's 10 weeks right now so I have about 6 months to sort this out lmao.

As for the 3/4 having rear leafs I knew that much, but if I add a set of air bags with an on board compressor to a half ton to help with the load would that help even the playing field if need be?
My issue is I prefer the 00-06 body style and all the 3/4 tons I'm finding are either hammered, or a lot of money for a ton of miles. I can find clean half tons for half the money and make some upgrades as I go, if it can be made to do what I want. Just trying to see what my options are and if I'm crazy or not for even considering trying to upgrade the Denali for more towing capacity.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:20 AM
Launching!

And I agree the 20ft trailer would be ideal but high gvw 20 footers I was looking at start weighing in upwards of 4k lbs empty so I know that starts really pushing my luck. Hence my wondering if an 18 footer would do it. Most of the time I'd be hauling one of the f bodies or something smaller around, but I may occasionally want to take the "race truck" to an event somewhere with the family and if we can avoid taking two cars that would be ideal. But if it's bordering on unsafe then I'll abandon the idea.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

My twins are 9 my little one from the previous marriage is 6 and my new one is working on 3 months.... Then my 14 year old stepson ive had custody of since he was 2.... Then add my new girls 7 year old and i have a houseful!!! Good times ahead for you my friend!!!!

Proper air bag set up would help. Ive towed a 2 wd 99 ecsb with an 02 1500 suburban before on a 16 ft trailer would recommend 20ft for the extra space, but an 18 would do the trick so long as it will handle the weight
Old 11-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

There are several differences between the 1/2 ton Vs. the 3/4 Ton.

The brakes on a 3/4 ton are different as well. The rotors are larger and thicker for the stopping power with the larger Payload rating.

Same with the 8 lug Vs. the 6 lug bolt pattern. They have done that for the extra weight and payload capabilities.

The rear axle is significantly different as well. An 8.625 10 bolt Vs. the larger 9.5 14 bolt. The size of the axle shafts and bearings is significantly different. I am not sure if the GMT 800 3/4 ton had the 10.5 floater option in them.

I am not gonna lie, I have probably overload my 1/2 ton a time or two but just because I did doesn't make it right.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Launching!

True. Brakes I know I can upgrade to larger but not really thicker for heat dissipation. And the load capacity of the wheel bearings, especially the rears, was something I hadn't really considered.
See, this is why I asked lol
Old 11-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

No problem!!! Thats what forums like this are for.

The 4L60E will not like repeated abuse either. There is only so much a trans cooler can do.

It wasn't designed for the added strain. It barely moves a 5000Lb 1/2 ton around. When you start pushing them, they brake. Now put an extra 10,000 lbs behind it repeatedly and see how long it last. LOL
Old 11-07-2015, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

My 02 2500 avalnche was full floater.... Suburban 1/2 ton rotors are the widest/thickest offered on the 1500s

Quick Reply: Towing with a Yukon xl, got a few questions