TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Rear diffuser: would it help at all?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear diffuser: would it help at all?

Thinking about fabbing up a rear diffuser for an 04 RCSB...has a rollpan, and I think a rear diffuser would make the rear look a lot better. question is, would it do anything performancewise?
i have two ideas, one is weld a reinforced sheet onto the underside on three sides, each side to the bottom of the rear fender and the other to the backside of the rollpan.
the other is make a trapazoid sheet and weld it to the (chassis?) tube going across the underside back of the vehicle and to the back of the rollpan. do one of these in flat black and (maybe?) 4 modest fins that dont poke out much on the underside of these.

questions:

design number one ould essentially creat a pocket facing the front of the vehicle, would theis negate any positive effects and even negatively impact as a whole?

has anyone tried anything like this before?

would this impact arodynamics at all, positively or negatively?
Old 03-11-2016, 02:00 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Unless you plan on going 150+ you would probably not notice a difference in anything. Above that speed you will want downforce on the back to keep it stable.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

Without slamming the truck to the ground and incorporating a front splitter to help smooth the air flow underneath the truck, I don't think even a properly designed diffuser will work as it's intended function. As for impacts to aerodynamics it could go two ways. If there is a lot of turbulent air under the truck a diffuser could serve to straighten the air flow and improve aerodynamics. On the flip side, the main function of a diffuser is to create downforce. A significant byproduct of downforce is drag.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
Without slamming the truck to the ground and incorporating a front splitter to help smooth the air flow underneath the truck, I don't think even a properly designed diffuser will work as it's intended function. As for impacts to aerodynamics it could go two ways. If there is a lot of turbulent air under the truck a diffuser could serve to straighten the air flow and improve aerodynamics. On the flip side, the main function of a diffuser is to create downforce. A significant byproduct of downforce is drag.
ok, thanks, wasnt sure why i havent seen anyone do this, now i know why