TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

LWB vs SWB... the differences

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LWB vs SWB... the differences

For the guys that have owned both a short wheel base truck and a long wheel base truck what was the major/minor differences ?

What I do know it think...
Short wheel base trucks tend to look better and take up less parking room.

Long wheel base seems to be the pick of guys that due hauling/towing. Seems to be overlooked as far as fixing up.....

I want to hear your personal opinions on this topic guys..... Thanks and Happy New Years.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I loved my single cab long bed sierra, easy enough to haul with and still light weight. Only downside was cab space but that's a given.

I owned a 2010 extended cab with a 6'5" bed and felt the same about it, cab space was still my only complaint. Now I own a 2012 crew cab but with a shortest bed but overall same length as a ECSB truck, cab space is what I wanted. Bed length can be an issue at times though if you really wanted to haul alot of stuff.

And I've driven and used many crew cab long bed trucks, I feel the only downside is weight and how huge there are in parking lots and tight turns. But thats nothing someone can't work around if there needed that much truck.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:51 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

At minimum if I was going to Haul/Tow more stuff. It would get something with a long bed and most likely a 2500.

I noticed a long bed anything always tows better. I am tall and need the room so at very minimum I need an extended cab. A friend has a Single Cab long bed 2500 that I put back together and we have towed other full size trucks behind it. Great for hauling stuff but like I said I am tall and could use a few extra inches.

I still wouldn't let go of that truck and prefer to use it when I can for hauling things. The 8 ft bed comes in handy when picking up things like plywood and crates. We built a car this year and picked up a new LS3, 4L60E and bunch of other crap at the dealer. It worked out great and we got everything loaded up in the back and were still able to just barely close the Gate.

A customer was giving away a bunch of equipment that needed repair. No way I could get it all in 1 load and I had to go to another job site. My friend literally pulled up minutes before the scrap guy and we got it all in the back of the truck with just a little bit hanging over onto the gate.

Don't get me wrong I love all of my 1500 Extended cab short bed trucks but every once in awhile a few more feet or extra towing capacity wouldn't hurt.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

interesting factors mentioned....
Old 01-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For towing longer the wheel base and heavier tow rig comes in handy especially when you start talking weight

Longer wheel base also helps backing up the trailer

Towed with a short wheel base and was awful vs a longer wheel base, you wont get beat up as much
Old 01-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Really been looking at/for a Big 10 or a Heavy Half... my dad say they was factory 1/2 ton trucks with 3/4 ton suspension.

It seem like it would be the hot ticket for me for various reasons.
- 73-87 square body trucks around here are affordable.
- easy to repair
- parts are easy to come thanks to LMC and brothers trucks
- low insurance
- under the hood I'll have lots of room and options on engine choice.. *big block, small block, or LS
Old 01-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

my 2010 has 3/4 ton leafs, 14" brakes and also has 14bolt, I added all of these myself.. heavy half is exactly that
Old 01-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by George C....
my 2010 has 3/4 ton leafs, 14" brakes and also has 14bolt, I added all of these myself.. heavy half is exactly that
Can you tell a BIG difference with/without a trailer behind you ?
Old 01-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

compared to stock my truck rides like a truck now vs before. a crewcab GMT900 has very soft springs. my unloaded quad trailer made my truck sag and that was a brand new truck

I needed air bags for any kind of real weight, so when i bought my enclosed i swapped to 3/4 leafs so i wouldnt need to rely on my air bags as much.

I miss the soft ride but im very happy to know when i hook up to most trailers i wont have any issues.

with mods i did to truck its basically a 3/4 ton truck, I absolutely love the 6speed for towing
Old 01-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

nice George. Thanks for all the input and more is welcome.

Quick Reply: LWB vs SWB... the differences