TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Family Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knminton
You've got me thinking now, so Ibhave another question. Does anyone know if Burb 2500 and Silverado 2500 have the same axles? If I wanted to upgrade to 4.56's and they do. It offer this for either, can I still do this by just changing out the gears instead of the assembly? If so, what key information would I need to identify the correct gears aside from bolt quantity?
I think it was Atomic on here that had a valuable list of axles and interchangability on here. Yea I totally made that word up. The diesel 2500's have full floating rears 10.5 I believe, that are very similar to dodge's AAM. The gasser 2500 (GM) I believe had a few different options from semi floating to full floating.

If you do some digging around here, you can find some very useful info to get your wheels turning. (pun intended)
Old 12-11-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by blitzin247
So...is 2178 your cruising rpm for 4.56 w/ 33's at 70mph? Because and 80e is a 4spd?
I'm looking at GMT900 Burbs. They have the 6L90 2008+. I am
Looking at Burbs on the GMT800 too, but only with the 8.1. I probably wouldn't even need to consider re-gearing one of those monsters.

Edit: I do think the 2007 still had the 4L80e however, which is why I'm looking at 2008+

Last edited by knminton; 12-11-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:25 PM

If you guys are interested, here is a link to the spreadsheet I made up. You can verify it with Randy's as if you plug in .80 for one of the tranny ratios on this spreadsheet, it will match his "5th gear" result, which says it uses .80 as a ratio. If you have any problems PM me your email address and I will email it to you.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=290CA34EA8BC867E!2540&authkey=!AMoysbi v-2-bDFQ&ithint=file%2cxlsx
Old 12-11-2015, 08:27 PM

Sounds like we have much in common!

I like the direction you are leaning. A Supercharged burb would be the shiznit! Certainly would give you bragging rights over Excursion. Plus it will tow anything you need it too. As much as I love the Ex, I still vote for the Sub. Plus I am doing the same thing with mine Forced induction, trans upgrade, exhaust, etc.

I currently have a 95 powerstroke and had an 04 duramax (around 600hp at the wheels according to my tuner) I am sick of the diesel game, to be honest. That is why I am deciding to build a forced induction suburban gasser. For the same money or less, I can do more and go faster. It just makes sense. I can do a quality forced induction set up for the cost of a trans build or a bullet proofing.

For me the cost and fun factor lined up, and now I have a new project. You do have to pay to play, but I would much rather my investment go farther. Certainly diesels have their place, but, I feel they have become the new ricer and ***** measuring contest.

Just my .03 cents worth.
We will have to compare numbers of we both go this route. I think it will be a fun project!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:34 PM

I think it was Atomic on here that had a valuable list of axles and interchangability on here. Yea I totally made that word up. The diesel 2500's have full floating rears 10.5 I believe, that are very similar to dodge's AAM. The gasser 2500 (GM) I believe had a few different options from semi floating to full floating.

If you do some digging around here, you can find some very useful info to get your wheels turning. (pun intended)
Will have to search that out
Old 12-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by knminton
We will have to compare numbers of we both go this route. I think it will be a fun project!
Ill whip mine out! Im building a 5.3 with cam, headers, water meth, and maybe heads. Who knows how long it will take, but depending on how far out you go, you have the displacement on me already.

I was very interested in the 8.1 but I saw my current one pop up on auction, and it was too good of a deal to pass up. Plus it is fully loaded minus navigation and rear entertainment. A negative to the 8.1 is that they don't take to modding like the LS motors without upgrading internals first. On top of that.....Modding parts are expensive and limited.

I am sure you are noticing that if you are already considering that option though.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:50 PM

Ill whip mine out! Im building a 5.3 with cam, headers, water meth, and maybe heads. Who knows how long it will take, but depending on how far out you go, you have the displacement on me already.

I was very interested in the 8.1 but I saw my current one pop up on auction, and it was too good of a deal to pass up. Plus it is fully loaded minus navigation and rear entertainment. A negative to the 8.1 is that they don't take to modding like the LS motors without upgrading internals first. On top of that.....Modding parts are expensive and limited.

I am sure you are noticing that if you are already considering that option though.
Awesome! Look forward to hearing about your build! Our Yukon XL has the 5.3 in it and it feels pretty good to me bone stock. What do you have the 5.3 in?
Old 12-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

a 2003 suburban k1500. I have started a build thread named salvaged suburban.

It is a slow process, short days and a family make it difficult to get anything done with no garage or shop.

I am looking forward to seeing which route you take!
Old 06-20-2016, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a little late in this thread but I'll pass on my 2cents because I've owned a psd 6.0, gmt800's, now a gmt900.

I would skip the diesel idea all together. Personally I think it was a fad where at one time you walked into a dealership and you told the sales man you had to tow something..anything..you would be talked into owning a diesel. The initial and maintainence costs just don't add up especially how cheap it is to completely replace a gas engine if need be.
The only thing the excursion wins with is the straight axle front. They will always be stronger than a ifs set up, as long as you change bushings and ball joints you won't have any issues with death wobble or any of that nonsense. In reality it's easier/cheaper than ifs to keep a handle on.
The downside to the straight axle is comfort. The excursion will make you feel like your riding on a tree branch. 99-04 are the worst because of the leaf springs up front, and coil springs on the 05+ are only a minor improvement.

I would go straight to a gmt900 3/4 ton 4x4 burb for comfort, reliability, durability, and add a blower I felt down on power.