TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Build me a GM Gasser tow motor for 5k?

Old 02-21-2017, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The guy asks for a reliable towing motor and you guys tell him to put a swap a screamer 6.0 or unreliable 408.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Old 02-21-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
The guy asks for a reliable towing motor and you guys tell him to put a swap a screamer 6.0 or unreliable 408.

Whats unreliable about a 408? Legitimately speaking, have you seen anyone stranded because of the 408 itself, vs some of the bullshit they performed on the motor, or hack job wiring?

Constant decline in compression because of skirt wear, I can see. Catastrophic, leave you on the road waiting for a tow truck? Havent seen that, as a result of the 408 itself.

Not to mention, he himself suggested the 408. I suggested a roots blown 6.0, which can make gobs of power on low boost, at low rpm with the proper cam choice. Nothing screamer about that.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
kinda have a point. we got off track.

I'd say do your compression/leak down test, replace the valve seals if needed, swap out the valve springs and rockers(higher ratio), headers, replace the cats(either with new ones or remove them), install an aftermarket intake tube but leave the stock box and filter assembly(anything else will just dust your engine since your in AZ and the stock filter and box are rated for like 500hp and the micron rating is MUCH better for your engine than any of the cotton or foam filters), do a tune up, if you don't have one already you'll want to install an electric fan or swap it out with a higher CFM fan or a dual fan, possibly underdrive pulleys with an overdrive alt pulley, and the tune it. might want to consider installing an auxiliary trans fluid cooler as well.

the only time I've ever heard of people using a 408 is in HHP applications. Such as race cars, mud trucks, and the like.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh, almost forgot,

you could also look into an aftermarket timing gear and chain set and mess with the cam timing by a degree or two.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Whats unreliable about a 408? Legitimately speaking, have you seen anyone stranded because of the 408 itself, vs some of the bullshit they performed on the motor, or hack job wiring?

Constant decline in compression because of skirt wear, I can see. Catastrophic, leave you on the road waiting for a tow truck? Havent seen that, as a result of the 408 itself.

Not to mention, he himself suggested the 408. I suggested a roots blown 6.0, which can make gobs of power on low boost, at low rpm with the proper cam choice. Nothing screamer about that.
Agreed. Im thinking 408 because on a Cubes/$ basis, its about as good as it gets right now as far as I can tell. Im not talking high compression with a race cam. The problem with the load I tow isn't getting started, its pulling long grades. The 4l80E has some weird spacing 2-3, and the 8.1l is completely out of steam by 4k. I feel like I need a HP curve that is increasing vs decreasing over 3k rpms. I used to pull this same boat with a Silvy SS, and didn't have the same issues on grades.

I dont hate the super charger idea either. Trying to figure out a realistic cost on a CTS-V takeoff.

Last edited by BlackSSaz; 02-22-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jik294
kinda have a point. we got off track.

I'd say do your compression/leak down test, replace the valve seals if needed, swap out the valve springs and rockers(higher ratio), headers, replace the cats(either with new ones or remove them), install an aftermarket intake tube but leave the stock box and filter assembly(anything else will just dust your engine since your in AZ and the stock filter and box are rated for like 500hp and the micron rating is MUCH better for your engine than any of the cotton or foam filters), do a tune up, if you don't have one already you'll want to install an electric fan or swap it out with a higher CFM fan or a dual fan, possibly underdrive pulleys with an overdrive alt pulley, and the tune it. might want to consider installing an auxiliary trans fluid cooler as well.

the only time I've ever heard of people using a 408 is in HHP applications. Such as race cars, mud trucks, and the like.
Pretty sure nobody makes LTs for the 8.1l SUV, but I get your point.

On your fan point - last time I looked into it, the impression I got was nobody was using e-fans for towing as they simply couldn't cool as well. Is this (still) wrong?

My first real trip with this rig was towing my boat to san diego in September. It was about 112* out, and it over-heated 1/2 way up the jacumba grade. Replaced the fan clutch after that and haven't had any cooling issues since.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I cant compare to the grades you pull, or length; but I have e fans on my 5.3 half ton SUV, and pulled 6400lbs ~320mi, never had a temp issue. Maintained 60mph the whole, left OD off because it kept hunting for gear, and I didn't like it.

Search this Thread