TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Anyone powder coated their lift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

If your going to spend the time to tear it all down you better replace everything with new grade 8 bolts new bushings and junk! That way its not just a pretty face. Also you will have to have it blasted so I would go after its blasted and inspect it for cracks never know what might be hiding under that coating.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
If your going to spend the time to tear it all down you better replace everything with new grade 8 bolts new bushings and junk! That way its not just a pretty face. Also you will have to have it blasted so I would go after its blasted and inspect it for cracks never know what might be hiding under that coating.
I was planning on replacing all the bushings and hardware. Even after replacing all of that I figured it would be cheaper than a new lift kit. I also assumed powder coating companies would media blast whatever they're coating to ensure the coating clings properly.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

A quality powder coater woudl take it down to metal, whether through media blasting or whatever, and i would hope if theres a crack theyd notice that in the process..... As far as which way would be less expensive depends on what the powdercoater is going to charge and how much work they have to do to prep it.... May be less expensive to call superlift and see if you couldnt just order the repkacement brackets
Old 04-24-2016, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
A quality powder coater woudl take it down to metal, whether through media blasting or whatever, and i would hope if theres a crack theyd notice that in the process..... As far as which way would be less expensive depends on what the powdercoater is going to charge and how much work they have to do to prep it.... May be less expensive to call superlift and see if you couldnt just order the repkacement brackets
I'll probably start calling some people locally to get some prices on powder coating a little closer to when I'm ready to start the project. If I find out it will be cheaper to just buy a new lift kit, I'll probably go with a different company, because super lifts "lifetime warranty" seems like a joke.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Fwiw, ive had ny fabtech for about 15 years and it hasnt flaked yet, and i havent had any issues with it other than my inner tie rods rubbing sway bar.... Which probably has to do with me running 35" tires and having the torsion bars fairly cranked up on it....
Old 04-24-2016, 06:10 PM

Fwiw, ive had ny fabtech for about 15 years and it hasnt flaked yet, and i havent had any issues with it other than my inner tie rods rubbing sway bar.... Which probably has to do with me running 35" tires and having the torsion bars fairly cranked up on it....
I've got my torsion bars cranked up all the way too and I don't have issues with them contacting anything. When do they contact at full lock?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah mine was mostly full lock to the right, with very little bit on left....
Old 04-24-2016, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

This prompted me to flip the sway bar
Old 04-24-2016, 06:32 PM

This prompted me to flip the sway bar
Did the fabtech kit come with a drop bracket for the front differential? I suppose if it wasn't lowered when lifted it could possibly cause some clearance issues like that.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

It came with longer sway bar end links, that with the closer to 7.5-8" of lift ive actually got werent long enough, i have seen stock vehicles that the sway bar was contacting the inner tie rods on bith sides, think it has more to do with the pitman and idler arms and alignment angles than the diff drop brackets, which to answer your question yes it does come with... I can almost drop my oil pan without pulling the rear crossmember or front diff out....

Quick Reply: Anyone powder coated their lift kit?