TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Anyone powder coated their lift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone powder coated their lift kit?

I'm new to this forum so I thought I'd share some pics of my truck. I bought it from a friend I worked with for a few years. The truck was already lifted and had the wheels on it when I bought it. The coating on the lift kit is starting to chip and flake off. I was wondering if anyone has taken their lift kit off their truck to have it powder coated. I figured this would be a much easier solution than to buy a new lift kit. I have no issues from the lift aside from the coating. It's a Superlift that has a lifetime warranty, but their warranty does not cover their coatings. Any input is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone powder coated their lift kit?-img_1165.jpg   Anyone powder coated their lift kit?-img_1192.jpg   Anyone powder coated their lift kit?-img_1294.jpg   Anyone powder coated their lift kit?-img_1875.jpg  
Old 04-23-2016, 09:52 PM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It could definitely be done if you wanted to. I'd suggest downloading and printing out the instructions and follow them in reverse to remove the kit. That should help you keep track of everything and make reinstallation a breeze.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Your truck reminds me alot of mine a year ago when I got it! I think it would be a pain to remove it all and send everything to a powder coater that could take weeks. My fabtech junk was pealing and starting to rust so I used chassis saver its a thick black coating you have to brush and and man does it work! If you want shiney and bling bling then powder coat if you just want rust prevention and black the chassis saver.

Nice truck BTW!
Old 04-24-2016, 03:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I have thiught about having my fabtech lift powdercoated in either green, silver or purple, but then i realize how kuch work it would be and then id wantvthe frame done too.... Lol!! Id contact superlift and see what they say about it if its peeling thats a craftsmanship thing i would think!!!
Old 04-24-2016, 06:52 AM

I like the idea of leaving the kit on and re-coat it. I just think I won't be as happy with those results. I think I'd like to spend some more time tearing it down and waiting for it all to be powder coated. It would be something different about my truck, and something else I can detail.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

My problem is i have nowhere to do something like that.... Where i could take my time to take it back down to frame pull lift off, powdercoat everything..... Reassemble it all, at that point new damn near everything would be in order.... So the money wouldbe the issue on the other side of that!!!
Old 04-24-2016, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
My problem is i have nowhere to do something like that.... Where i could take my time to take it back down to frame pull lift off, powdercoat everything..... Reassemble it all, at that point new damn near everything would be in order.... So the money wouldbe the issue on the other side of that!!!
That's a good point. At the moment all I have is a concrete driveway to work on. The truck is way to big to fit in the garage haha. Buying a new kit would definitely be a lot less downtime for my truck. I just have to buy a brand new lift kit when the only problem I've had out o my current one is the coating. I haven't really looked into other lift kits warranties to see if they cover their coatings. If I found a company that does I might go that route.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:02 AM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I say just go for it, as long as you're planning on keeping it black. I hate colorful chassis/suspension parts, unless you're doing it as a joke. Lol
Old 04-24-2016, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
I say just go for it, as long as you're planning on keeping it black. I hate colorful chassis/suspension parts, unless you're doing it as a joke. Lol
Yeah I'm definitely not going with any crazy colors. I was thinking of getting gloss black and maybe get some metal flake in it.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
Hey what you trying to say??? I think powder coating it a darker color that compliments the color of the truck would look cool!! Wouldnt wanna do a neon green under a black truck, but a hunter/forest green under a dark purple or black truck would be cool....just something different! If i had the time, place and most importantly the money i would have done my lift and frame in either a dark almost black purple or a hunter green, but its a mute point now!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone powder coated their lift kit?