TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

Chinese Tech 2s

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not touch it. Why support China screwing US business and all of us for that matter. %20 of Chinas gross domestic product is made faking our goods. China has even copied our AEGIS system used on our battle ships.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by orange1500hd
just curious, how much are the real ones?
It Depends on the package.

The Bosch Tech 2 PRO Kit retails for $4,995.00 Includes the CANDI Module
The Bosch Tech 2 BASIC Kit retails for $4,395.00

The CANDI Module alone is $788 and is required to read CAN equipped vehicles like the 07 up NNBS trucks.

BTW, GM no longer supports the CD flash files. That was discontinued at the end of 2007 I believe and only supported some vehicles up to 2008. You may not even get the latest software for your vehicle. Those Chinese clones with the TIS flash files are copied from the older software.

The Chinese clone sellers won't tell you that and they also won't help you when something does not work.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeake
I would not touch it. Why support China screwing US business and all of us for that matter. %20 of Chinas gross domestic product is made faking our goods. China has even copied our AEGIS system used on our battle ships.
Oh shut up, totally off topic
im a gm tech and i have my own tech2and candi module as well as the new mdi, these days the tech2 is pretty much useless you cant program most new stuff
My friend has one its ok for checking codes, but thats really it, also the ABs bleed you are so concerned about is pretty useless we only use it when replacing a bpmv or sometimes ebcm,
in all i would pass on it and instead go to your local dealer and make friends with a tech like myself.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ramairracer
Oh shut up, totally off topic
make friends with a tech like myself.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Just curious but did you ever buy this? I would be interested in it if you got it and worked for ya. And Im on the same boat as you, i want the gm house to reprogram my truck to turn the efans on thru the pcm but wanted 100 bucks. I just said screw it and wait till me tune.. but i could see this being very handy Sorry to bring back an old thread lol just looking for your opinion if you got it
Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Why don't you invest in a EFI Live or HP Tuners, I think it would do what most of you are looking for.

In the Duramax world a Tech 2 is necessary to do a proper re-learn on the trans, but for flashing aftermarket options are a better way to go.

I haven't played with it, but I understand you can do efans with both HP Tuners and EFI Live, I think HP Tuners has a weird licensing deal to make it work though. Not 100% sure since I haven't done it.

BCM related stuff requires a Tech 2, but usually you'll need TIS access I believe and so the Tech 2 in itself won't get you taken care of. As mentioned above, make friends with a dealer tech and maybe you can pay him less under the table?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

I have contemplated a Tech II for sometime now. I know an ex GM tech with his own shop that has one so I should go play with it. I use EFILive and know it's capabilities but would like more than that. All my stuff is all LS1B stuff basically so I want to know what the Tech II can do exactly on it's own. Maybe it is still useless, lol. I will buy the real deal though.... I can expense it as a tool, thus a write off for my business anyhow.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not worth it guys, get a MDI!!! They are wireless and flash 20 times faster, all the dealers are switching over to MDI's, it also has a TECH II program built in to it so it can be used just like a Tech II!
Old 04-06-2013, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can find them cheaper than this too!

GM MDI Dealership Diagnostic Package Tech 2 Dealer Package OTC not A Clone | eBay
Old 04-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

I had one for a while. They can do most diagnostic stuff but you can not program in new options without going through the GM's TIS for programing. This requires a separate account with a subscription that you need to pay for. at the time, I did not get a unit that had the flashing software which is limited to 2007 and some 2008 models.

As far as the tool itself the keypad is stiffer than the original GM unit along with some other minor differences and since the software is cloned some of the options occasionally don't work correctly.

Gm made some specific changes a few years back and that's why they are knocking these off. Some of the newer software Through GM will not work with the clones because they're not capable of supporting it.

It's Ironic that these and other factory tools are being knocked off but not the Snap On units which are also partially produced over there and assembled here.

Unfortunately the Tech 2 is basically obsolete at this point as the have Tech to win emulation software that runs on the New GDS 2 platforum for the MDI. It pretty much supports everything from 1996 to present.

For the average or basic user EFI live or HPT will do most everything you need it to. If you really feel you need the options to communicate with other modules for diagnostic purposes then you should consider stepping up to something more advanced. Don't limit yourself to a factory only tool if you're going to spend that type of money.

Quick Reply: Chinese Tech 2s