TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

Chinese Tech 2s

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chinese Tech 2s

Anybody use one? Im going to be doing a trans swap on my truck and will need a tech 2 to reprogram some stuff and I havent had the best of luck finding a place that will do the flashes for me. Besides having it to pull codes, auto bleeds of teh ABS etc, it would be nice to have one. Theres a few on ebay
V32.002 GM tech 2 fully kit with candi+32MB Card+TIS,Tech2 II Diagnostic scanner | eBay
Just dont want to spend the money if they dont work worth a darn. The seller has good feedback but shitty grammar obviously from being over in Hong Kong. Occasionally they go for a few hundred less.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Damn a Tech II would be one of the ultimate tools to have.

I didn't know they made a repop one, and like ya said its a lil pricey to just try . Hmmmmm.....
Old 08-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Yeah, the dealer wants $100/flash for whatever I want to do. Wouldn't take long to make my money back. I need to actually talk to a GM tech as I know there are certain things they've got to talk to GM about vin wise to flash certain things I believe. It'll come in handy for diagnostic stuff too though. Like right, after I got my vin reflashed into my navigation an error comes up saying parking assist is off. My backup sensors don't work and that error message comes up everytime I put it in reverse. Really damn annoying. Plus I want to be able to do the autobleed of the abs for brake jobs.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I havent had the best of luck finding a place that will do the flashes for me.
I had the dealer reflash my ecm to stock. They used the tech2 and a laptop. The tech told me the tech2 is just the interface for the laptop to tune the ecm, tcm, bcm and etc. So with out a laptop and software its just a bi-directional scan tool.

And he may have been full of but when he was finished my ecm had a different tune.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:30 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

I really believe that us "hot rod" performance / modifying type of guys are all going to need a tech II as the dealers just don't want or can't help us do the reprogramming/resetting we need.

I love to say " yes , buy one Cody !" but I can't honestly do that as I know nothing of how this version of the tech II works.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I had one and it worked great for what it was. How ever, I did have issues trying to get it to connect through the GM site and doing pass through flashing. Also in order to flash updates into the PCMCIA card we had to put it into a genuine tech 2 to update it. Some of the Newer OEM GM software did not work well in the clone tool either. Since it was a clone I was worried about it taking something out. I later re-sold it.

I guess it all depends on what you really want to do with it...

If I was a shop or wanted to work on more then just my own vehicles, I would steer clear of it. I would also stay away from it for Pass through Flashing/Reprogramming. The inferior electronics in some of those units have been know to short out during the flashing process wiping out control modules.

Also Bosch, the company that now has the rights to that tool will not support a clone tool. The FBI will confiscate it if you send it in for repair. If you notice all the clones say Vetronix. That company was going under and Bosch took them over. Bosch also made some propitiatory changes to the Boards in side to better support the newer software. The clones are based of the older boards.

You can definitely tell the difference in quality between a clone and the real deal.

Some of the clones work good out of the box and others don't work at all. It seems to be hit and miss from what I have heard.

Last edited by 1FastBrick; 08-28-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I just checked that sellers feed back and you can see that some of them didn't work out of the box. He has an 88% feed back
Old 08-28-2012, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious, how much are the real ones?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off topic, but with a Tech II can you turn a 'Low Coolant Light' off?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ducky
Off topic, but with a Tech II can you turn a 'Low Coolant Light' off?
You can just jumper across the plug at the sensor and it will turn the low coolant light off.

Quick Reply: Chinese Tech 2s