TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

Attic Mounted Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Attic Mounted Air Compressor

Has anyone done it? I know it gets hot as hell up there but I cant see it really being any worse than the air compressors you see mounted on the back of trucks that get direct sunlight on them. Im trying to get as much crap out of my garage so I can park my truck and the wifes car in there.

Id like to mount it up in the attic then run copper hardline to the ceiling to a hose reel like this one.
Amazon.com: GOODYEAR 46731 3/8-Inch by 50-Feet Retractable Air Hose Reel: Power & Hand Tools Amazon.com: GOODYEAR 46731 3/8-Inch by 50-Feet Retractable Air Hose Reel: Power & Hand Tools

Mounting it like that would allow me to put the separator up in the ceiling too out of the way. Plus just making for a cleaner look in the garage.

Just trying to plan ahead for my garage renovation this winter
Old 08-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Is there really that big a difference between 3/8 and 1/2 line?

Been doing some snooping on amazon and thinking this wouldnt be too bad of a setup. I could hard mount this to the wall, run a line from the compressor this mounted at wall swithc level then back up to the hose reel. That way the filter is easily accessed for drainage and I can regulate the air pressure without having to climb up in the attic.
Amazon.com: Ingersoll Rand P39344-600-VS 1/2-Inch Filter-Regulator Piggyback, Black: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Ingersoll Rand P39344-600-VS 1/2-Inch Filter-Regulator Piggyback, Black: Home Improvement
Old 08-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The difference is sorta important when it comes to certain tools. For example a air grinder uses alot more air than a rachet. My water seperator and regulator are 1/2. My hose is 3/8. I want to get a dryer this winter so i can paint.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:42 PM

This is my compressor
Craftsman Professional 25 gal. Air Compressor, 1.6 hp, Horizontal Tank - Tools - Air Compressors & Air Tools - Air Compressors
Says its good for grinders and all that. I think Ive got 3/8 line for now, but will upsize to 1/2 when I do all this. Guess if I converter the fitting directly off the tank to 1/2 it ought to be fine.

Id eventually like to get a dryer too for some painting but I want to learn welding first. A nice welder will be my spring time purchase.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Resident Retard

Dont forget to get a regulator and water seperator. Dont get an automatic oiler if you ever plan painting.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 PM

The filter I posted a link to has a regulator on it. THe filter should separate the water too. I always add a few drops of oil in the air chuck of my air tools when I use them for the first time that day.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't think that compressor would like sucking that hot thin air. At the very least, plum fresh air to it. I'd run the biggest air line possible at least to your hose reel. Less flow restriction is always better and price difference is negligible.

Why don't you just put the compressor in your shed?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you use the compressor regularly or just occasionally?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I don't think that compressor would like sucking that hot thin air. At the very least, plum fresh air to it. I'd run the biggest air line possible at least to your hose reel. Less flow restriction is always better and price difference is negligible.

Why don't you just put the compressor in your shed?
Cause the shed isnt built is the short answer

I dont want to have to drag it up to the garage every time I want to use it. It gets up to 140ish in my attic which as far as the compressor doing its job I dont think is much different than the 105 air it sucks in, in my garage.
Originally Posted by J_SIN
do you use the compressor regularly or just occasionally?
Depends, some months I use it every weekend other months I may not use it all. Just depends on what on what Ive got going on.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Resident Retard

I over heated my previous compressor a few times and I believe that is what caused it to die... Being up in the attic running during the summer can not be good for it. Not to mention it vibrating the entire house because it is sitting on rafters... whenever i walk around in my attic my wife can hear me, just imagine a compressor rattling around up there....

Quick Reply: Attic Mounted Air Compressor